Baxi Solo 3 PF fan replacement

Hi all, The fan motor has burnt out on my Baxi Solo 3. (240V across motor, no movement!) I can't see how to remove the fan assembly though. The picture on the Baxi website shows three "screws" but on my model they're studs, and the one at the back seems completely inaccessable.

(page 40)

Does anyone know how to remove the fan assembly?

Thanks!

Jon.

Reply to
wendyjon

I think that the studs to which you refer hold the motor onto the fan cowl. However, you have to remove the *assembly* - cowl and all. From the picture on P40 of the Baxi document, it looks as if the screws in question are

*underneath* the cowl, screwing up into it from below.
Reply to
Set Square

Yes, I think you're right. But I think I'll need to get another cover off the boiler to get to the underside of the fan. And to undo the cover, I'll need to get hold of a set of security screwdriver bits. Time to call Screwfix! Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Jon Mason

Jon.

If all else fails R.T.F.M.

I would strongly advise you get a Corgi engineer to carry out this work.

YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO READ VERY CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS, EVEN WITH IDIOT PICTURES, SO HOW DO YOU PROPOSE TO CARRY OUT A JOB WHICH ONLY INVOLVES UNDOING A TOTAL OF 5 TORX SCREWS. TWO OF WHICH HOLD THE WHITE CASE ON.

If you take off this "other" panel how will you reseal it?

For the sake of your boiler and house get a corgi engineer in now.

david.

Reply to
d.

Jon.

If all else fails R.T.F.M.

I would strongly advise you get a Corgi engineer to carry out this work.

YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO READ VERY CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS, EVEN WITH IDIOT PICTURES, SO HOW DO YOU PROPOSE TO CARRY OUT A JOB WHICH ONLY INVOLVES UNDOING A TOTAL OF 5 TORX SCREWS. TWO OF WHICH HOLD THE WHITE CASE ON.

If you take off this "other" panel how will you reseal it?

For the sake of your boiler and house get a corgi engineer in now.

david.

Reply to
d.

David, Thank you for your wise counsel.

As it happens, I have already had a Corgi-registered engineer to look at it. His response was "Sorry mate. Don't normally to Baxi's. Have you got a manual for it?" Then he went through the flowchart to diagnose the fault that I had already diagnosed. And then he struggled for a while to figure out how to remove the fan cowling. "Have to check this one", he said.

I figure if he can do it with no knowledge of this boiler, then so can I.

Oh, and I have the re-sealing stuff, direct from Baxi.

So set your mind at rest, and go and figure out how to type without the caps lock on.

Thanks to those who made helpful suggestions.

Jon.

Reply to
Jon Mason

Jon.

I can type with the caps lock off and I can change Baxi fans.

What I was trying to point out to you was, if you read the instructions the job is so easy. You seem to be making a mountain out of 5 screws.

The row of screws on top of the plate do not have to be removed.

Surprise surprise it all comes out as one piece then undo the fan screws as per page 40 if you bothered to read it and look at the pictures.

So you will not need the sealer from Baxi. (I would see If I could get a refund).

Perhaps you should have asked the Corgi engineer if he had any knowledge of the boiler when you phoned him.

If he took longer than =BC of an hour to change the fan he should be ashamed of him self.

If you had read my post you would have got enough information to do the job, but no you read it the same way as page 40 of the instructions and did not realise I told you how to do the job.

As a corgi engineer who has changed several of these fans all I can say is: 2screws 4clips 1 harness 2 pipes and 3screws. Reassemble in reverse order.

Do not touch the 5 screws.

It is so easy can you now see why I shouted.

David.

Reply to
d.