Baxi Neta-Tec Combi woes

Whilst newer boilers might use less gas, their running costs seem to offset any saving!

Not sure if anyone here can help, but I get lock-out and an E-128 error that implies that there have been a dozen flame failures.

Symptoms are that the boiler fires up nicely, but I can see/hear the gas rate is changing over time (undulating) and never ramps up to max, even though CH water is cold.

Subsequently the boiler cycles between running, purging and relighting such that the water temperature never gets above 50-60 degs.

All the menu accessible temperature sensors seem spot on, the ionising electrode has been gently cleaned, though not with any abrasive.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I was hoping that someone somewhere might have some experience of these boilers.

The only thing I can find out on forums, is that the gas valve is prone to fail, but I don't think that can cause the undulating gas flow I'm getting!

Reply to
Fredxxx

It could be if it's involved in modulating the burner. I don't know if it is on a Baxi. Some gas valves modulate by varying the coil voltage, whereas with others the coil is just on/off, and modulation is done by pressure feedback to the gas valve from a Venturi in the gas/air path which is indirectly driven from the fan speed. There are probably other schemes too.

How long since the boiler was serviced?

You might have got more help if you gave the model number, and even a pointer to the installation/servicing instructions online.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Many thanks.

The installation manual is split into 2 parts

The boiler is a Baxi Neta-Tec Combi 24 GA

I have no idea how the modulation is done, though there are a number of people complaining of faulty gas valves. The gas valve does looks rather small.

To my knowledge the boiler was installed less than a year ago, or serviced less than a year ago. I shall try and find out more from the previous owners just that I don't have any paperwork.

The servicing aspect looks easy enough, and is just a visual inspection of the burner and assembly that is easy to remove, with no further dismantling. I have to say it all looks very clean.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Thanks to Andrew for his post.

A Baxi engineer came out as it was under warranty.

He updated the firmware, recalibrated the boiler as per procedure in a document I have found, then changed the flame sensor (probably unnecessarily) checked the flue gas was in the right ball park region, and left! He commented that gas valves do "drift".

I now have a fully working boiler, still a Baxi though!

Reply to
Fredxxx

That's good, I was going to suggest a blog that someone made which lists error faults on boilers and what can be done about them :

ray.alexander
5 posts today in this group from this spammer for STL - "amazed at how much I'd ended-up saving " "blog that someone made" "rang some local North West based firms"

- I smell a rat.

Reply to
Geo

In article , Geo writes

I don't usually bother with these tossers but I think a special example is due in this case:

"This wordpress pseudoblogger is spamming his wp address across the usenet group uk.d-i-y, generally on long expired threads without a genuine wish to help the DIY community and contrary to the spirit and non-advertising charter of the group."

Reply to
fred

same problem today changed the changover valve on bottles at moment,problem solved

Reply to
concernedofthenarth2