Baxi boiler problems

We moved into a new house about 4 months ago, which has got a Baxi 105E combi boiler. It's just over 4 years old and was serviced yearly by the previous owners.

Although it seems to work fine, it leaks. Probably about 100ml a week. It's coming out of the radiator water because I have to keep opening the valve to keep the pressure up. I had the cover off and it looks like the water is coming from deep within it's bowels.

Is this the sort of thing I could have a go at fixing myself? Plumbing is not my strong point. Jen phoned up a plumber (who comes with several recommendations) who told her over the phone that we'll probably need a new boiler. I'm a bit wary of phone diagnoses that result in large expense, so I'm not sure whether to trust them or not. I would expect a boiler to last longer than 4 years.

Any advice? Thanks.

Naich.

Reply to
Naich

It's a known problem (a bad batch?). I forget what the offending item was, but I had the same trouble with my 105E of about the same vintage. My heating engineer arranged for HeatTeam to fix it and it took about 20 mins to do.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

At 4 years old even being a Poxi-Batterton unit it should be fixable for much less than the cost of a new boiler.

If all else fails I think the manufactuers have a service division possible called 'Heat Team'. They should be able to fix a leak.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks (and to Frank) for the advice. I'll give Poxi a ring. Their site says they do repairs for a fixed fee, so if it's a known problem then that should be possible I guess.

Naich.

Reply to
Naich