Baxi Boiler problem - grating sound

Hi,

Recently my boiler (Baxi Solo 2 model 40) started making something of a loud grating noise when firing up, which continued as the boiler ran, and ran down within a few seconds of the boiler switching off (actual boiler operation is fine, BTW).

This volume of this noise has since reduced, and now sounds very much like a moaning-grating noise, but is *fairly* quiet.

I've had the carcase off the boiler to take a peek inside, and the sound seems*1 that the sound is coming from the fan unit (unit is described as "fan assisted" - I guess that means a powered flue?).

One thing I noticed is that on top of what I'll call the "blower" - an encased cylindrical unit that I assume holds the hot fan, there's the exposed drive motor, and a small pressed steel fan blade, presumably a secondary fan to keep the motor cool. If that is rotated by hand it actually lightly fouls the "blower" assembly. This in itself is not enough to cause the noise, but might be indicative of a bearing collasping, resulting in the shaft being off-centre.

One further observation, it's getting hot around the blower unit - to the extent where plastic shrouds around electrical terminals are disintegrating.

So, quick questions....

(1) Does this indeed sound like a fan/blower failure.

(2) If so, is this a DIY or professional job?

(3) If DIY, typical cost of a fan unit? (all I can get ATM are details of places, not prices, and I need to diagnose the problem 1st)

(4) On a 7 year old boiler, is a replacement unit more practical?

(5) If I was to replace boiler WITH LIKE, installation / commissioning charges likely from a Corgi?

Thanks for bearing me out

Regards

Mike.

*1: There's a lot going on in there, I'm 80% sure.
Reply to
Mike Dodd

I'm sure that Geoff at CET

who frequently posts here will do you a reconditioned fan for a reasonable price. It's pretty easy to fit - well within the scope of any self-respecting DIY-er. I certainly wouldn't replace the whole boiler just for a fan - they are generally regarded as expendable items - fans, that is!

Reply to
Set Square

Cheers, sounds good, looks like £45+gubbins, good price, will wait to see if Geoff answers and might place an order tonight.

Many thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Okay, since the reply to date suggested that the fan is a consumable, I've had the unit apart and sprayed some PTFE lubricating oil on the motor, fan and blower bearings; now, quiet as a lamb. Will wait to see if this is a temporary fix before deciding to replace the fan unit.

Thanks, Set Square.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd