Baxi Bermuda 551

I have a Baxi Bermuda 551 back boiler which recently made 'arcing' sounds while opening the valve to fire up the burners. After a while it stopped firing up at all.

I checked the wiring, and found 1 loose (loose-ish ??) wire in the connector in the boiler. However it still doesn't work.

As a final test I by-passed the internal thermostat unit, but the value doesn't open and the burners don't fire up.

I am hoping that someone out there has some helpful ideas.

Thanks,

Sutters.

Reply to
Sutters

I presume that the pilot lights and stays alight ok - indicating that the thermocouple and flame failure device are ok?

If so, it sounds as if the solenoid in the main gas valve has died - unless there are extra interlocks than I had on my 1960's version! Do you have an installation manual? If so, it should have a spare parts list. [There's a searchable database on the Baxi site at

but it doesn't seem to include the boiler part of the 551 - but it does deal with compatible gas fires.]

Hopefully you can still get spares. You can get gas valves for some Baxi boilers - and just the solenoid in some cases - from

- but you need the part number to be able to identify the right bit.

Reply to
Set Square

UPDATE: You appear to be able to get spares for a 551 from

(watch the wrap!) - including a gas valve with a new part number which supercedes the original one.

If that's no good, there are lots more links if you do a Google search on "Baxi boiler spares".

Reply to
Set Square

we have similar problems with our Baxi 551 back boiler which is driving us nut.. we have replaced the capacitor and today we replaced the gas valve an d lo and behold we have the arching noise back........it will go to fire up and click click click and then a long humming noise and then have to turn it off. please please please can someone help Jools

Reply to
julie