Baxi Barcelona with thermal Store

Thought I would pass on a piece of information that is relevant to the use of Thermal stores and modulating condensing boilers, which may be of use to others.

In 'normal' systems without a thermal store, modulating boilers would be ideal, although they would be required to fire up regularly due to the fact that there is no energy buffer present

With modulating system boilers which modulate the flow rate to maintain an ideal "Delta T", when used with thermal stores a problem arises with the production of domestic hotwater, in that the modulating reduces the heat coming into the store when you need it under heavy loads.

The stored boiler water should really flow at a constant flow through the heat exchanger in order that domestic hot water production be maintained under heavy load situations.

With thermal stores it's better to go for a condensing, non modulating boiler.

I have a Baxi Barcelona, and this by default is a 70,000 btu/h boiler, to convert to maximum output of 80,000 btu/h you need to remove bridge No.2 on the control pcb.

To turn off the modulation and have maximum output remove all 3 bridges on the pcb.

The same applies to the 100HE

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Have you tried the Barcelona connected up as standard with modulation? If so how did it perform?

It is best to have a DHW only thermal store and a boiler that switches in and out the modulation. Some Ravenheat condensing boilers do this. When DHW is called the boiler ramps up to maximum power until the store of water is satisfied. When switching back to CH it then modulates giving maximum efficiency when on CH.

Is it possible to have a plug that just plugs into the bridge pins and then wire this out to the control system instructing the boiler to modulate or not? Maplin may have such plugs complete with wire. Any electronic board people care to comment? geoff?

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

I don't see why not. I'll look at a Barcelona next week and see. The potential problem is one of modification and insurance liability.

Reply to
geoff

My boiler powers up the board when call for heat, otherwise it is de-energised. If a board is powered up 100% of the time and you power on and then off, will this affect the board?

This switching in and out modulation is such a simple and, and totally necessary, especially when a boiler is coupled to a thermal store or a quick recovery cylinder. Situation where you may require full output. Very few boilers have this simple function. All it needs is a couple of terminals with a jumper wire.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

There's no reason why it should

Reply to
geoff

I believe some electronic components don't like being switched off and on.

Reply to
IMM