Baxi Barcelona Burner Damage?

Hi,

I have a Barcelona for about 5 years which I have cleaned every year (not touched the burner but blew off particals), cleaned out trap and it has been OK.

My friend however, has had one for about 3 years and has had it regularly serviced. This year he was told the burner was damaged so it was replaced and he kept it for me to see! I looked at it and found none of the holes on the top seemed damaged but some of the seal was flaked off. I have just checked mine and it seems exactly the same!! The actual holes in his burner seem VERY slightly "furred up" but he had to pay over £170 +vat for a new one as the engineer said he was unhappy with it and could have blown up.

He was also told this boiler was no longer made and the burner was a bad design and was no manufactured from the same materials!

Can anyone give me any information on this burner, in particular:

Do these ware out quickly?

Have they changed its design?

What was the likely damage to my friend burner?

For your information:

I have still got his burner which has a metal plate inside with holes and a top "mesh" which I was told is ceramic, this seems to be sprung up onto the underside of the top of the burner which is fitted with an asbestos like seal. Although the seal has flaked off in parts only the top edge that was not compressed, has gone "fluffy" and fallen off.

Sorry about any non technical terms!

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

The Barcelona ahs morphed into the Potterton Promax. All, or most, of the problem has been ironed out.

Best do not but Potterton or Baxi, because they are all basically crap, made by a crap company. Buy Viesssmann, Eco-Hometec, ACV - the best. Then Glow Worm (owned by Vaillant), ACV, Worcester Bosch, Valliant. A small British company Quantum Boilers are also good, as are Archie Kidd.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel