Baxi Auto Air Vent

First of all, many thanks for all the good advice on this NG. More than enough for me to tackle my own CH system. (I'm an aircraft engineer by trade)

In the commissioning notes for my Baxi 105E it says "open the automatic air vent". At no time does it say "close the vent"

Does the vent stay open during operation?.or what?

Thanks AndyM

A recent thread was about Discount Heating Supplies - read on if you wish....

Late September - I got the Baxi 105e combi boiler from Discount Heating Supplies - cheapest by far - and paid COD. (The alarm bells were ringing but I am a pauper). It was delivered when they said it would be and had all the necessary flue, fillers and a timer.

Mid October - I fit the boiler to the wall and charge all the systems - to the sound of a hiss from the pump. The screw in the top of the Automatic Air Vent is missing. No response from DHS (after repeated phone calls) so I gave up and contacted a local spares dealer who flogged me the full valve for £12. Fit screw and after a gas check the boiler flashes up beautifully. All the rads are hot, wifey can have a full bath and all is well??.. till tonight.

A smell of hot plastic - I blamed wifes cooking :-( and the 'fan fault' light is flashing. Sounds like the fan is seized / jammed. Not one to turn down a challenge (and needing to escape from wifeys. 'I b****y told you about Internet purchases, cr4p after service aaaaand COD aaaaand we should have got a REAL man in etc etc ad nauseam') I lock myself in the kitchen and take the fan out to find the b*****y original air vent screw jammed in there. How it lay dormant for a fortnight, unmelted, at the top of the unit I'll never know.

Moral - Buy on recommendation. Check deliveries !!! (Not that I would have noticed the air vent screw.)

Thanks again

AndyM

Reply to
AndyM

I left mine open for a few weeks after filling, to help let trapped air and gasses which come out of solution to escape. When I stopped hearing bubbles in the pipework, I closed it. You want to crank the water temperature up to max at some point before you close it, as that will release the most dissolved gasses which can then escape.

In theory you can leave it open, but they sometimes leak. I noticed mine had ejected the odd drop, not enough to worry about but I wanted to rule out the drop coming from anything else. Whenever I open the boiler casing for any reason, I usually momentarily open it just to let out anything trapped.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel