baxi 105e instant

My 3 year old boiler has gone on the blink. Initially there was no Hot Water on demand. Pre symptoms, I had been away for a week and as always, I'd put the preheat control to OFF to save short cycling? The Preheat is normally set to the 6 o/clock position. I tried opening the Hot Water tap (sink) to its fullest etc, without any change.

I have found out a way of getting hot water, but it is a bit of a pain and not a long term solution. If I return the preheat selector to its Off position then immediately turn it to 6 o/clock, the boiler kicks in and during this period, turning on the hot water tap keeps the boiler in operation and hence hot water continues to flow without interuption. After the boiler goes back to its steady state the preheat function does not kick in at all to maintain its preset temperature and the indicated temperature slowly declines to zero.

I've tried resetting and even repowering up after isolating the mains supply, both make no difference.

I've tried the central heating part of the system and it appears to be operating fine.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
exocet

I've had a quick look at the manual. It looks like the DHW mode is selected by a differential pressure valve. Either this valve or the inlet tube to it are faulty. This is the most likely symptom.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Should still be under warranty. Mines valid for 5 years

Reply to
zaax

Ed - I just looked at your reply and after carrying out some tests, I think you are correct in your judgement. Thanks for the hint. The pin does not always come out far enough to operate the micro switch. At least this should be easily remedied? There is obviously another fault, as I've now discovered that the central heating part is playing up too. Water circulating but boiler not triggering into action. (It appears just to fire up when the temperature of the boiler falls below 20 and cuts out again when it reaches 70, no matter what position the temperature gauge is set at. The same happens with the preheat control, no matter its setting. I suspect it could be the circuit board or possibly the divertor valve mechanism.

Reply to
exocet

I'm pleased to say that the problem with my boiler has been rectified. The diaphragm was punctured in two places and it was a straight forward repair to do. The C.H. system has returned to normal working too. I'm now beginning to wonder if i had checked this out sufficiently.

Reply to
exocet