Battery replacement for cheapo hammer drill (Challenge) available?

Is it possible to get a replacement battery for the cheapo Challenge hammer drills? (24 V 1200Ah). I think it only cost me ~£20 in the first place, but does everything I want. Now, after 2 yrs the battery only holds its charge for an hour or two. (I mean without even using the drill).

Reply to
dave

Phone argos tech support?

Failing that can you open the pack to re-cell it?

Reply to
John Rumm

I just wonder if there is a :-) there somewhere - oh ok - I'kll try...

Mmm didn't know it was possible. Will see how it comes apart.

Reply to
dave

You'll not get new cells for anywhere near 20 quid, I'm afraid. You need

20 - and half decent ones will cost nearer 2 quid each.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But performance will be "better than new" by quite a margin once done. Probably only worth doing if the supplied charger is reasonably decent though, it would be a shame to shag a decent set of cells.

Reply to
John Rumm

You'll probably finds its cheaper to buy the whole drill with battery new,rather than source a battery for it.

Reply to
George

£20 cheapo will surely have a rubbish charger. I replaced one set on my £100 Ryobi two drill set which has a good fast charger and as John says the new cells (14.4 volt cost ~ £30) are excellent. A bit fiddly soldering the tags.
Reply to
newshound

definitely, at that price, unless you have some cells from otherwise dead equiment lying around.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It can be worth checking Ebay etc for a battery of the same voltage for any make and robbing that of its cells. They're usually the same physical size. But as was said short battery life is often down to a poorly designed charger. And good quality replacement cells won't sort that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try nailing jelly to ceiling.

Reply to