Battery-powered timeswitch - kit or ready-made ?

Hi Folks

Anybody suggest a battery-powered timeswitch - needs relay contacts to switch 12v @ 1A - one on/off period per day of a couple of hours per day.

The application is to try & persuade next-door-farmer's 30 daft sheep to keep the **** out of our garden, where they insist on eating our new hedging, any low-hanging fruit, prize shrubs & etc.

They do this between 6 and 8 am - so the electric fence (controlled by the timer) only needs to be 'live' for that period of time - which will save on battery life...

So - any suggestions please ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Grow Mint.

Reply to
Adrian C

Sorry - we're both veggies! We don't wish the sheep any harm... well - not much.... just wish they'd stay in their own field!

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Are you pissed Harry?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

12V 7 day timer, contacts 10A 30V DC.
for trades timer for door entry systems

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I know farmers are allowed to shoot dogs worrying sheep, but would that apply (a) to your dog on your land if the sheep are trespassing; or (b) to cats?

A hefty tom is well capable of terrorising a sheep.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks!

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

How would you tell ?

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

It's not easy getting a firearms licence over here - even if I wanted one.

Deterrent is what I'm after - and don't want to start slaughtering the local livestock.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Only mambby pamby softy lowland sheep. Nothing messes with a sheep living up on the fells.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's not something I can remember seeing anywhere. From Vellerman etc.

How about using a battery powered alarm clock? The buzzer output could be used to switch a relay with a bit of modification. (I use just this idea to switch on the sound system in the bedroom)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No - I couldn't remember seeing such a kit - which is why I asked (not to get a lecture on animal husbandry and "50 ways to sue your neighbour" - sigh!)

I guess it could be made to latch, but then you'd need to turn it 'off' again.

Somebody suggested programmable thermostats, either with the temperature set-point wound up to 'max' or with the thermistor replaced by a fixed resistor to simulate 'cold'. That might be a good way to go... - must have a dig around in the loft to see if I have such an animal hiding up there...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I've got a portable radio alarm clock that runs the radio for an hour, so a relay fed from one of those will do it, though that's still not the two hours that's wanted. My mains radio alarm runs for two hours, but will need a mains feed.....

(Cunning plan - Leave the radio speaker within earshot of the fence, and they may learn after a while that when they hear noises, it's not a good idea to approach the fence. Though, thinking further, they may well learn that no noise means no shock. As you were, then...)

Reply to
John Williamson

If you want a system more demand related, why not use one of these in conjunction with your electric fence?

Fredxx

light when these woolly terrorists are out & about....

Simple timer would do the job....

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I'm sure there are variants where you can change the light sensitivity and turn it off. Otherwise mask or remove the light sensor.

When the sheep learn that the electric fence is only on for a couple of hours a day, you won't be calling them daft!!

Reply to
Fredxx

Because of the actions of those arrogant Englishmen some of those friendly Folk will have acquaintances who will be well versed in setting up portable timer devices. Might be worth asking around. It would be like the Cold War peace dividend on a smaller scale.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

What about diversionary activity - give the sheep something more attractive to eat at that time, but at the other end of the 'public highway'.

They swarm like wasps around chocolate.

(Mint Aero would be especially appropriate)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Mine turns off after an hour. But you could use it to trigger a 555 timer and set that to any interval you want. Perhaps with a latching relay to minimise current consumption.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The electric fence is alongside the 'public hiway' - another reason for wanting to turn it off when it's not needed as a sheep-deterrent is to avoid electrifying small children etc...

The sheep do only seem to be around from 6am to 8am - it's very odd...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall