Battery for Cordless Drill

I have a Black and Decker cordless drill which could do with a new battery.
I've only been able to find one place online that sells my model, but they are about 40 quid.
Anyone know a good place to buy them for a decent price? I might as well buy a new drill for this price.
It's an 8.4v model - battery part no. A9250
Thanks

You can get a 24 volt, 1 hour charge, 2 years guaranteed drill with 2 batteries for less than 40.
One day some slave in China is going to come up with a multifit adapter for all these old drills. One day.

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 23:25:26 +0000 (UTC), "Michael McNeil"

Good answer! Anyone recommend a good buy?
I'll need one with a hammer action and a keyless chuck. Also a slip clutch (or whatever you call them).

I got conned into buying a Makita or somesuch that turned out to be an excellent imitation for 75. I'd buy another like a shot. It will go through concrete like an ordinary hammer drill, fit locks and all sorts. It even has a spirit level. (Impossible to use but thoughtful.)
Maplins were doing one for 35. It seemed to have the same batteries (the weakest link - if the charger holds out. If it doesn't and you still have the receipt up to 1 year 11 months and some 27 to 30 days..........)
Damn I'm going to feel a fool not geting one! I know it. I couldn't fill up my car for that price, if I had a car.
Aren't things ridiculously cheap these days? Speakers with subwoofers etc for twenty quid or so. I bought one set for the PC and one for the TV just to save the bother of unplugging them. We have come a long way since I had to stroke the cat's whiskers to keep it from eating the budgie.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:42:08 +0000, Dave D

I've had a Nutool for several months now. Came with 2x24v 1hr charge batteries:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 323&ts044
I'm quite pleased with it. However I do not use the hammer option because that is a drill-killer. If I need to go into hard wall then for small stuff I'll use my regular B&D, otherwise the SDS comes into play.
The 24v batteries do give a useful life, and with a 1hr recharge I can't really see it being out of power for an inconvenient length of time.
With a 3 year warranty I can hardly complain.
PoP

on sale at Woolies for 29.99 as is the NuTool SDS
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message
x.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id323&ts044

EEeee!Yeeyurck.
I am on my way. I just need to find my trousers. (I could use a wash too but it is Sunday.)

to it. The SDS drill was OK too. It would be excelleant if it has a choice of hammer and drill only and a reverse.
I went around the market though and saw a battery SDS for 85 quid. It was only a few days ago that they were well over 300. Another bargin was a 110v reciprocating saw for 30. The blades for those things are 10 for 5.
I can only imagine the slave labourers in China put up with that sort of capitalism because things are no better out of prison for them. What with no people of the female persuasion over there thanks to Mao.

BTW the SDS has rotostop - it comes with a chisel

as everyone will tell you a replacement battery can cost as much or more than a new drill with two batteries.
I had a look at replacing the Cs cells in a Bosch but it's horrendously difficult & rapid charge cells aren't cheap enough to make it worth the effort
Chris Oates wrote:

SUB C's are about 3 quid a pop, so to recell a 7 cell pack is about 21 quid.
We've been down this loop before, and the salient fact is that the
batteries probably represent about 60%-80% of the cost of the drill.
If you think of it as buying two battery packs with a free cheap crap electric motor, gearbox and speed control built in, then you will undertand the basic economics of cordless power tools.

Chris Oates <none> wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, there's no such thing as a rapid charge cell.
--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.*

Dave Plowman wrote:

There are actually. Low internal resistance makes cells able to withstand high rates of charge and discharge without overheating.
Most tsandar Nicads should not be fully charged in less than about 20 minutes, but I regularly charge some up in 12. They are still going fairly strong.

I'm afraid it's a fact of life that the battery can cost more than a complete drill. However, it's usually possible to replace the cells on their own by carefully opening up the pack. An 8.4 volt pack will have 7 cells, and good quality ones (tagged Sub-C) size can be bought for about 3 quid each if you shop around. Maplin charge 4 quid.
You might even find a complete pack for a different make in the sheds that you could rob the cells from - they're all the same basic size. However, good quality replacements are likely to last rather longer as well as having a greater capacity.
--
*If only you'd use your powers for good instead of evil.

I have had several packs recelled at re-cell. All work excellently.
Your pack would cost 26 pounds inc post.
http://www.re-cell.com /
I agree that a new cheapie drill looks attractive, but from experience some of them are crap, and the two cheap battery packs have no real go in them either, the drills are too heavy for any extended use, most only have single speed gearbox which reduces their effectiveness a lot as well. If you buy something new then as a minimum get Bosch, preferably Makita or Hitachi.
MrCheerful

Yes. Most seem to forget that rechargeable batteries are *not* all of the same quality - even if they are of the same nominal capacity. I've re-celled several packs using Sanyo cells, and they improve the performance of the tool immensely, as well as having a longer service life.
I've got a PPPro 18 volt which is a nice enough drill for general use, but it had considerably more power with the new pack. I can say this with confidence, because at the same time I bought a second original pack from B&Q which was on special offer. My charger is modified to give a standard 14 hour constant current charge, rather than frying them as some of the cheaper fast ones do. As well as working better, I'd say the Sanyo pack lasts about 2.5 times longer on one charge.
--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman wrote:

Sanyo are the rolls royce.
I've two packs of 600ma/H cells,. One cost 9.99 and teh other cost 16.50.
Guess which one is the sanyo, and will deliver 16A without flinching..

Capacity on a SUB C varies from 1000-1200 mA/h up to 3300 mA/h for the latest NiMh technology. the Sanyo 1700 cell is a very good animal and can take a lot of abuse.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:16:14 +0000, Dave D

As previously stated you could replace the individual cells. I think most of these drills are based on AA size batteries and in your case it has 7 AA rechargables. Being Black and Decker no doubt they will be reasonable but not brilliant batteries.
It may be that only 2 or so batteries have failed and therefore you could disassemble the battery pack unsolder the wires that connect them all (depends on design as some just slot in) and if you could try them individually on a domestic charger which has a charging/status indicator it would tell you what state they are in. You may find 4 are good and 2 are bad and 1 is inbetween. Replace 3 of the batteries with generic cheapo rechargables of the same spec or possibly some of these;
http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=cpc+catalogue&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid%8243
An alternate suggestion is find a super cheap drill battery pack in a clearance bucket and cannobolise that for your battery pack.

40-50 gets you a decent new battery drill these days. Go for that. If you can get a B&D drill that uses the same battery as your old drill then even better.

What it doesn't get you is a decent battery. Don't you read anything?
--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.