Baths - Steel or acrylic - Which is best?

Steel is cheaper and stronger. The plastic is warmer (but really it not a problem with either) and comes in a bigger variety of shapes and colours.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

What about colours? My 1981 bathroom suite is the same colour as the Gills of a Mushroom. These days it seems that you can have any colour as long as it is white.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Hurrah!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Hmm, they're durable but they also take forever to warm up. Unless you have the hot-feed wrapped round the back of the head-end to preheat it I'll pass on cast iron if you don't mind. Can't stand leaning back against a cold slab.

Reply to
Guy King

No they don't!

They're at room temperature!

I sometimes wonder about some folk ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com contains these words:

Yeah, I hate cleaning the bath, too.

Reply to
Guy King

An enamelled cast iron bath takes very little cleaning - just a spray with the shower :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" typed

Don't know about you, but I like my bathwater to be rather warmer than room temperature (probably 40°C or 104°F).

My flesh is approximately 37°C and my room is about 21°C. A bath with sides of 30° will still feel cold.

It will also cool the bath water.

Nor can I.

So do I...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

When I replaced my bathroom at my old home I got a "carronite" bath, which I think cannot be beaten as it has the strength of steel yet the warmth of plastic.

Reply to
Adrian Boliston

It is possible to polish an acrylic bath with Brasso, and it comes up as good as new. Once a steel bath becomes worn it's a huge job to resurface it.

Reply to
Nick

But the weight of the water is evenly distributed. Stepping into, or out of, a bath is another matter.

Reply to
DJC

In any case, Mary's room will (she will probably claim) be at 0 degrees, what with the 3 foot stone walls, the beaten earth floor etc. The only heating will be a small cow.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" typed

Each to his/her own.

I am *really* unusual. I live in a centrally heated, double-glazed, 3 bedroomed 1930s semi-detached house ;-)

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

But think how warm it gets when it has a widdle. When I milked cows as a teenager the water heater was rarely working and you learned on bitterly cold days that a stream of cow urine is nice and warm.

Reply to
Guy King

Room temp here might be as low as 28 F as wifey likes to open the bathroom window after her shower in the morning. I like to take a bath in the evening, as my little job can make me sweat a tad. By this time, room temp is also the bath temp is outside temp. As others have said, a cast iron bath takes ages to warm up.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Rather than remove our over-sized steel bath when it became ratty, we had it lined with a drop-in acrylic shell which gave the same advantages.

Reply to
Ian White

Think what you could do with the chocolate taps though :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

You didn't mention the priest-hole. No, really, she's got a priest-hole.

Reply to
Guy King

Blimey. That makes me wish I hadn't stuck a lump hammer through ours and thrown it in a skip when we moved in 7 years ago!

Reply to
Chris Cowley

Guy King typed

And you didn't mention the *other* priest hole...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht