Bathrrom tiling advice

A quick query about tiling "etiquette".

I'm changing the bathroom suite and intend to tile the walls round the bath, round the basin and behind the toilet. Do I tile first and fit to the wall or fit the suite and tile to the items?

Tiling behind the toilet and basin will looker neater (?) but what about round the bath?

TIA,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson

Tile behind the basin and loo, but tile down to the bath stopping a couple of mm above the bath edge (unless it's a free standing bath).

Reply to
Grunff

You can do it either way. There are advantages to both methods. Tiling afterwards gives a better seal, although the same effect can be done tiling in advance by only tiling down to the line of the bath rim. It is often worth setting the horizontal line to the bath rim and letting this determine tile heights for the entire bathroom.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I try to tile *behind* cisterns, but *up to* basins, shower trays and baths.

My reasons are simple. waterproofing. I first fix the baths and basins really soundly..then silicone seal them down the 'crack' then tile OVER them so the tiles overlap and use grout to finish the job.

I personally think it looks neater.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have just realised that it depends on the tiling system in use.. I normally don't tile all the way behind and below basins - just a splash panel. Also basins have rotten straight edges, so tiling *to* avoids a nasty gap.

However if the whole wall is to be tiled above below and around, then there is something to be said for doing that first. If you have plasterboard walls though, nip out he section where the basin is to fit and retro fit a sheet of similar thickness ply. Then tile all over that in the confidence that there will be something substantial to fit the basin TO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unless,of course,as in my case,there is a framework behing to take the basin .I did,however,think of this when building the false wall.........

Stuart

Reply to
anony

Well I wouldn't. The way some basins curve into the wall makes tiling up to them nigh impossible.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Assuming you are fully tiling the room, then it is common to tile behind most fittings except for the bath and shower tray. With the bath you can also chop it into the wall itself a little bit. That not only ensures a mre ridgid fixing, but means you can tile down to the bath missing the roll edge if it has one. Thus avoiding a little moisture trap that can go mouldy! If you leave the tiles clear of the bath by about a tiles thickness (and fill the bath with water beforehand) then you should eb able to get a very good silicone seal.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John and other posters in this thread.

I am going to tile the complete wall behind the basin, which curves back to the wall:

tiling behind it seems like the way to go.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson