Bathrooms and Tiling

In the garage is a shiny new white bathroom suite & new power shower unit waiting yours truly to bodge into place.

But - tiling.

The bathroom is currently fully tiled with the same orrible beige tiles that were in place when we bought the house 16 years ago. There are 2 external walls, and 2 internal flimsy plasterboard walls. Removing the old tiles from the external walls, whilst being a not to easy nor pleasant job, is doable. Removing the tiles from the 2 internal walls is likely, I think, to result in major structural mayhem.

So, is tiling over old tiles a reasonable proposition? Is it worth removing the tiles from the external walls or just over-tile these as well?

Is is preferable to remove the old suite and re-tile then replace, or install suite and tile afterwards?

Recommendations for attractive but expensive gizzmos will be ignored, as I am currently *extremely* broke.

Reply to
Rope

This has been covered many a time on so people will say to you search the archives in google. I'm a noob in here but thats the response you will get methinks.

Reply to
ben

Posted by Erik the Viking

ben

Personally I hate tiled-over tiles, but that may be just me... it can be, and is often, done though.

The 'structural mayhem' you describe is unlikely to be more than a need to replace a couple of sheets of plasterboard, which isn't really a big deal, especially if they are completely tiled over.

  1. Take out the old suite
  2. Remove the old tiles if you are going to - jut omit this step if you want
  3. Fit new tiles

David

Reply to
Lobster

If they are well fixed, then give them a quick sand with some coarse glass paper to make a key for the adhesive and tile away.

Remove old suite Fit Bath Tile Fit loo and sink

That way to can have the tiles drain down onto the lip of the bath. It should make getting a good seal with the silicone simpler.

OK I will recommend two cheapish ones then: proper rubber faced grout float - makes the job of grouting so quick and easy. Costs about a fiver.

Lithofin grout protector - paint it onto the grout after it drys to make it non absorbent and repel water. Should keep it looking good for years. Cost about 20 quid for a bottle that will do the whole room.

Reply to
John Rumm

That sounds like just what I need actually. Now, what would be a good method of throuroughly cleaning old, badly stained grout prior to applying this stuff? Steam cleaning?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would guess the only really acceptable way to sort that would be to rake it out, regrout, and protect it while clean. Otherwise there is a danger you will just seal any dirt and discolouration into the grout.

Reply to
John Rumm