Bathroom wall mirror

I'm planning to fit a wall mirror in a new bathroom - the space for it to fill is approximately 1400mmx1400mm. Can anyone recommend a possible supplier of a mirror cut to size? (I'm in London)

I'm not anticipating it being a hard job to fit it - using a thin spread of adhesive. However, if anyone reading this knows better or has any lessons learnt the hard way, then I'm open to other advice!

With many thanks,

James

For email, use snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
James Eddison

Any glass merchant should be able to supply this and polish the edges for you. Bevelled might look nice too. How about an anti-condensation heater to stop it misting up. Not sure if you can buy these but an interesting DIY project.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I hope you have a beautiful body ... some of our guests won't look at the large bathroom mirror we have!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How do you know? Do you follow them into the bathroom or is it a one of those mirrors that allows you to observe them from the bedroom?

-- Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

LOL! They tell me :-)

And I avert my own eyes when I get out of the bath ...

Spouse however, he of the body perfect, never even bothers to look.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On something that size I'd think about screwing it to the wall rather using adhesives. I saw today that B&Q do a range of mirrors pre-drilled for that very purpose.

The back of a mirror is literally coated in silvered paint, so adhesives have a tendency to make this peel off after a time, which is not the best thing to happen with a piece of glass that size. Even glues that say they are intended for mirrors do the same, especially in a room which has high moisture content in the air and can create condensation on the back of mirror if not sealed properly.

Have you had a look at polished chrome or acrylic mirrors ? They would be ideal for this situation.

BigWallop

Any glass merchant will be able to supply you. tell them it is for a bathroom and they will foil back it to prevent condensation lifting the silver. much cheaper than you will ever get from a DIY shop.

Angela

Reply to
Angela

Just as another idea - have you considered the option of mirror tiles rather than one dirty great mirror?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Flabeg make kits for hanging mirrors invisibly in a way that makes them removeable. These consist of metal plates which can be screwed on the wall with matching attachments for glueing to the back of the mirror. However you do it, you will need to check that the wall is adequately flat - a lot of walls are remarkably uneven!

Reply to
Brian S Gray

Sorry, not my town. But you'll probably have to go round several glaziers before you find one that actually wants the work - many of them no longer cut glass on spec like this, especially not if you want a good ground edge.

Mirrors need to be bathroom grade, but then most of the mirror in the retail trade is anyway. It's no longer foiled, it's now a plastic film and it's cheaper to carry just one grade in stock.

Ikea are cheaper on mirrors than cutting to size, or even on the price for the raw glass. If you want edge grinding, then they're _much_ cheaper.

Heater pads are available, if you want it posh. Can't remember the URL, but I found some on-line sellers for them last time I looked.

Use the right stuff (Screwfix do it). Some normal adhesives can damage the silvering.

Andy Dingley

Junkmail der Götter ?

Warum junkmail der Götter ?

Reply to