Bathroom supplementary bonding

I wonder I anyone can give me some advise on bathroom supplementary bonding.

I have recently replaced my bathroom suit and understand that I need to install supplementary bonding. I intend to bond the hot, cold and heating pipes together in the loft where they enter the bathroom rather than stringing bonding wire all around the bathroom. I understand that the regs allow the bonding to be provided in close proximity to the bathroom location. Is that right?

I have seen many posts about supplementary bonding to lighting in the bathroom and I am still a bit unclear as to what the requirement is here. As I understand it the supplementary bonding from the pipes also has to be connected to the earth points of the junction boxes to which the lights are connected. Is this correct? It would seem to me that if you do this then you are in effect connecting the supplementary wiring system in the bathroom to the house wiring earth which, I have read, you should not do.

Any clarification here would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Reply to
roybennet

Yup.

You want a connection to the CPC (i.e. earth) of any circuit that supplies power to the room. Since you are making connections in the loft a connection to the light switch or ceiling rose ought to be easy.

Not so much "should not do". as "there is no requirement to do". What you are trying to do is create an equipotential zone within the bathroom, so that anything that can introduce a potential into the zone is bonded together. That way you are not able to touch any combination of things at a significantly different potential.

Reply to
John Rumm

that anything that can introduce a potential into the zone

Thanks for your reply John. I have wired up the bathroom supplementary bonding including the earth point for the bathroom light as you suggested. Checking it all out with a meter it's OK. I don't think I will be asking building control to certificate the job as they want 50 quid plus but at least I know it's safe.

Robert

Reply to
roybennet