bathroom sealant stuff - petrol resistant?

It's not petrol resistant, although if it's really silicone rubber it can be used as "instant gasket" (I.G. is not petrol resistant, either). It won't actually dissolve in petrol, but it does go all crinkly and loses grip.

I should replace the tank with something, or use fibreglass.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Anyone know if that bathroom sealant stuff is petrol resistant? The plastic tank on the lawnmower's developed a crack and I'm wondering if that stuff will cure it or whether the petrol will just dissolve it...

(I've got some car body filler that says it's petrol resistant, but I'm not convinced it'd adhere to a plastic tank)

I'll likely just try it anyway of course, but thought I'd ask first :)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Ok - ta for the heads-up. Saves me wasting my time - I'll have a look for alternatives!

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Have you considered the petrol tank repair kit that you can get in car shops? It may only be good for metal tanks but may be worth a look...

Reply to
Kevin

Yup; most things that stick to metal will also stick to plastic. Or car body filler should be OK, or good old araldite.

Reply to
Newshound

It depends very much on the type of plastic.

Reply to
Rob Morley