bathroom rack

Hi Folks,
I'm a real n00b at d.i.y , so bear with me.
All I want to do right now is put up a bathroom rack on my wall. It's a thin plaster wall (1-1.5cm thick), so I'm not sure what I can insert into the wall to make the bathroom rack fit securely on it. Each side of the rack has holes which I assume are supposed to hang onto screws that are protruding from the wall.
And that's it!
Appreciate any suggestions, thanks
Rod

So get a pipe and stud detector *before* you start the job. It's a little too late when you've drilled through a water pipe...

I do believe you'd be wiser to affix two horizontal battens onto which you could fix the rack. Screw the battens into the vertical studs that support the plaster wall.
If you try to use any sort of hollow wall fastening, you may be quite *certain* that the rack and its fastenings will be pulled from the wall by the first elderly relative to pay you a visit.
(OK, so I'm cynical -- but am I much mistaken?)
--
< Paul >

We've just bought a small bathroom rack equipped with suckers to stick onto the tiles - no need for screws. Pricier than a normal rack but worth it in SWMBO's opinion!!
Alastair
On 7 Jan 2004 01:07:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Alastair) wrote:

Until the day you say to your beloved "what was that noise dear-seemed to come from the bathroom ? " and athe rack and all its contents has crashed to the floor :-) Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
"Stuart" wrote | >We've just bought a small bathroom rack equipped with suckers | >to stick onto the tiles - no need for screws. | >Pricier than a normal rack but worth it in SWMBO's opinion!! | Until the day you say to your beloved "what was that noise dear - | seemed to come from the bathroom ? " and athe rack and all its | contents has crashed to the floor :-)
I've seen that happen with screw fixed ones too :-;
Owain

To be fair, the suckers are pretty substantial and stuck pretty firmly even when bone dry. But I guess the time will come when it falls off.....
Alastair

Even better, one can be certain the rack should not damage the wall when one's mother-in-law tries to swing on it...
--
< Paul >

Sonuds good, I take it somewhere like B&Q will stock them?
Any urls?
Thanks
Rod

We got it in John Lewis, although I think you may well pick one up in B&Q. Homebase do a pack of 5 bits and bobs all with suckers on. The JL one was about 18, which the missus considers worth the money, others may not agree....
Alastair
Thanks, I'll reckon I'll be paying a trip very soon. :-)