Bathroom planning - shower adjacent to bath end?

I'm planning a bathroom refurb, and want to install a bath and seperate shower cubicle along the length of one long wall

Viewed from side - A=shower, B=bathtub:

| | |\ | | x | | | | | | |______________________T | |\ | | | \ | | A | \ B | |________|___\__________________|

I'm trying to get my head round what to do at the interface between the end of the bath and the right-hand wall of the shower cubicle. Ideally, I would build a stud partition wall here, forming an alcove for the shower across which I'd simply fit a shower door. However, I'm very tight for space - the above plan already has a shortie bath tub and a smallish shower, and I can't afford to lose another 4" by building the wall - I'd go back to plan A which was a standard bath with shower over.

I definitely want the separate shower, which means (I think) fitting a glass side-wall between the shower and bath. But this leaves a bit of a mess at the end of the bath. Top edge of the bath would need to be siliconed to the glass side-wall, but what about the front edge, and the space behind? Maybe an end panel on the bath so you don't see under the tub, through the side wall, but I can envisage a horrible dirt trap between the glass and end panel.

One idea I had was to paint the outside wall of the cubicle at low level, to occlude the view under the tub. Reckon that would work?

Thanks for any thoughts on this

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Lobster writes

Sounds like a great idea, the only issues being:

  1. Put some self adhesive high density foam strip on the end of the bath to protect the glass from direct contact with the bath following slight movement.
  2. Clean the glass with IPA before painting and
  3. Chose the right paint for the job, tile paint might be the best bet.

I'm assuming the side wall will be from a shower cabinet kit or will be toughened, the former probably being the cheapest way to get the door, framing and other bits.

Reply to
fred

I did exactly this arrangement..under an eave with a dormer window over the bath.

The way I sorted it was a fair amount of work, but...

I built a wall between the bath end and the shower out of stud and ply. Then tiled it. I had special glass cut to sit above it, and the glass sits on top of the tiles against another layer of tiles on top of the wall..in an L shaped recess, and a simple plate screwed to the wall locked it in place, plus grout and some silicone.

The rest of the shower is also tiled where it isn't glass..in your view the back wall and the left hand wall.

You have to be accurate here if you want a door to seal against it though.

Now in your case where there isn't room for a wall that sits *beside* the bath, you have to build it UNDER the bath lip. Flush with the lip edge..then tile up to just below the lip top and sit the glass on the tile edges.

You CAN paint the glass - suggest matt black, but I reckon specially cut glass is a better bet.

I think my 10mm safety plus hinges, knobs and clips was around 800 quid. More than a bog standard plastic enclosure, but a lot less than a custom jobby from a ditz emporium.

I spent a lot on tiles though..probably another 150 or so easily. SHE wanted quartzite mosaic. Looks lovely.

Sorry don't have time to post up pikkies for you.

Anyway, quick and dirty is paint the glass, better is get glass cut to size and make wall as described.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't have to use clear glass. Use acid-etched opaque glass. As there wont be any light coming from under the glass there will be nothing to see from the other side.

Reply to
djc