Bathroom Flooring

I was at a home show a while ago and a company were selling oa

flooring. They claimed it would be fine for bathroom use. (Properl fitted and sealed etc etc.)

Someone else told me to definitely steer clear of wood for floors i bathrooms - it will expand and contract with the moisture and if th bath spills over, water will find its way through cracks and leak int my floor space (and ultimately the ceiling below). My house is abou

100 years old and has floorboards upstairs and lath and plaste ceilings downstairs. (Don't know if this is important or not!)

I guess my question is... is a hardwood floor OK in a bathroom? I' not having a shower in there, but there will be a bath and sink. If i is OK, does that rely on LOTS of sealing (including mastic to th skirting boards) or am I paranoid?

Thank

-- Fuoleum

Reply to
Fuoleum

Depends how careful you are and whether there's little people in your house. I would think oak would be fine, provided spalshes get to evaporate off between uses. I'd be more concerned about slops of water into the underbath space and the like where it can't dry out easily - regardless of flooring, that's a bad thing. Clearly all wood can be an effective solution look at all wooden boats/japanese bath houses/swedish saunas - with good design to avoid moisture traps.

Reply to
dom

Think about it.

Your bathroom already has floorboards (modern ones are chipboard for god's sake). Do you worry about how well sealed the existing flooring is (cork, vinyl, laminate, ceramic, etc.,)? If not, then why worry about how well you can seal an oak floor. If you do worry then just make sure the bath has a functioning overflow and that your insurance policy is up to date.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq