Bathroom floor and walls - remove tiles?

I've a bathroom to renovate. Currently it's laid with Quarry Tiles with a 10mm grout line. The grout appears to be cementacious, and the adhesive is a black material laid about 8mm thick.

SWMBO wants waterproof laminate, there is a shower, but it's used infrequently, AC5 should do.

I'd like to lift this floor, it's about 4 sq metres, with my Makita SDS. If I don't lift it, I still need to level the tops, and then the step up into the room will end up being 50mm (current 30mm step + leveling + underlay + 12mm laminate). If I take the QT's up then I'll have a hell of a job leveling.

What should I do? Take 'em up and use lots of self leveler laid in batches/layers , or leave them down, level on top and then accept the

50mm step up.

Moving to the walls, They are currently tiled over screeded-blocks. I call it screed as it seems to be mortar not plaster. The tiles are very very well adhered and I can only get them off in tiny pieces with the SDS. I've done one small wall to test.

We will tile the walls with 10mm thick ceramic tiles. I'm confident that the old tiles/advesive will hold the weight, but will the new adhesive over old tiles? Again I have the problem of making good after the old tiles are removed. In the shower area I am putting Marmox up as a water barrier. I could line the rest with PB, or attempt to true them up with bonding plaster or whatever. I could even pay out for a plasterer to do the job, but I'd prefer not to. If I stick with tiling over the old tiles what adhesive should I use, and how should the old tiles be prepared?

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

"TheOldFellow" wrote

Haven't answered the floor question as it seems a decision only you can make!

I retiled a bathroom that was tiled half way up. Got a plasterer to level the top half of the wall with the lower tiled area. Then used BAL White Star for all tiles. I did actually grind grooves in the tiles to help the adhesive to key, but don't think that is strictly necessary. The tiles I fitted were nearer 6 thick. Recommend you give BAL a call with all details - IIRC they have a decent support department (that was 5 years ago though).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster