Bathroom fan wiring ideas....

I've googled for an answer and read many posts none that seem to hit the spot for me.

In my bathroom, with a window, there is also a wall mounted fan unreachable from the bath or shower. This runs with the standard timer set up so it comes on with the light and over runs a set period.

We don't really need this fan with a window for ventilation and its noise is annoying the SO when she's relaxing in the bath.

The fan has a pull cord on it which triggers the unit in the same way the switched live does. I'd like to remove the switched line feed to the device so we have the option of running it when we want to by pulling the cord but otherwise it stays silent.

My question is what to do with the switched live wire. If I simply disconnect it then there's a live wire floating around. I've tried to trace the wire back to a junction box to remove it with no avail.

It has been suggested to me to wire it along side the permanent live into the fan, which is ringing alarm bells somewhere.....

Can I make the wire safe in some way?

Dave

Reply to
Dave P

That would make the light come on all the time. Is a 3-pole fan isolator switch fitted anywhere? If so you could disconnect the outgoing sw. L feed there. Otherwise it's best to disconnect it at the light end if you can - there'll either be a junction box in the loft or a terminal strip in the luminaire. You should still insulate the end though - fold the cut wire end back on itself an apply a few turns of red (or brown) tape, or use heatshrink sleeving.

Reply to
Andy Wade