bathroom fan wiring

just a quick one looking for a quick reply...

got 3 wires going to the fan, blue yellow and red

what would you expect them to be? one must be live, another neutral and the other switched live

im guessing red's live, blues neutral and yellow switched but just wanted another opinion before connecting, i dont have any way of testing that i can think of

Reply to
benpost

Sounds right to me.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

OK I got it right... its all working ok now.. related question:

I can set the fan to trickle mode all the time with occasional boost. or just OFF with boost.

trickle mode power consumption is 20.3 watts, but i dont know how this relates to KWH which I know costs about 13p per kwh or something. I'd like to work out the daily cost of leaving the trickle setting on.

Any help appreciated!

Reply to
benpost

i just found this site after googling :

tells me how many KWH a device uses based on its watts

so i've worked out leaving it on trickle 24/7 would cost about =A326 a year. based on 15p per kwh at 20.3 watts! worth using this site to work out other appliances usage!

Reply to
benpost

I would have thought it would take longer to visit the web page than it would to do the sum yourself! ;-)

If you divide 1 kWh by the consumption in kW you get the number of hours it will take to use one - just make sure you use the same units i.e. kW or W for both values...

so in this case 1000 Wh / 20W or 1 kWh / 0.02 kW = 50 hours run time for one unit (i.e. kWh) of electricity.

Reply to
John Rumm

Rough ball-park, is that x watts costs about x pounds/year for continuous running, so around £20/year.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

thanks guys would you say =A320-25 a year is worth it for a little extra continuous ventilation?

Reply to
benpost

What fan have you fitted? A typical 4 inch fan only uses 13W when it is turned on. You must have bought something special.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If you work out the cost of reheating that volume of warm air you extract during the winter, you might find that's a significant cost too.

Have you got a damp problem which the extractor solves?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I bought the vent axia solo plus as it was centrifugal as my ducting is 4/5 metres and the old fan was obviously not up to the job...

Did not consider the cost of reheating the extracted air... good point...

Probably best I turn the trickle off and just have it come on via the light switch and humidity sensor?

Reply to
benpost