Bathroom Fan Wiring

Hi,

I know a lot of people go on about this topic all the time, but I just want to try and get some opinions on what I intend to do this weekend and see if anyone has any objections!

Basically, at the moment the light in the bathroom is switched via a pull switch inside - I want to get rid of this in favour of a double gang switch on the wall outside the bathroom - one gang being for the fan and the other for the light.

Now, the fan is one with a humidistat that runs on low speed when there is moisture in the air, and high speed when there is a live at the switched live input. I will therefore still require a permanent live and a switched live.

My intention is to:

1) Get rid of the twin and earth going from ceiling rose to pull switch 2) Put in three core and earth from ceiling rose to new switch(es). The cores will be used as follows:

Red: Live to switches (this will go to both switches via a link) Yellow: Switched live back to ceiling rose from lightswitch Blue: Neutral from ceiling rose to be connected with chock block inside switch box to take neutral to fan (see below).

3) Take another three core and earth from the back of the switch to the fan (via a three pole switch of course) with cores as follows:

Red: Permanent live to fan - this will come from the live that was feeding both switches Yellow: Switched live to fan - this will come from the other side of the fan switch Blue: Neutral to fan - this will be connected to the neutral from the ceiling rose with a chocolate block as mentioned above.

4) Totally ignore Part P throughout.

I would, of course, sleeve all the wires throughout so that it would be obvious to any future resident what each wire was carrying, and I can't see any reason why this should not be okay. Just thought I would ask in case anybody found fault in my planning or (even better) could come up with a better solution!

Thanks in advance, Richard

Reply to
Richard Conway

(a description of a sound-looking wiring plan). Looks like a good 'un to me. Point 4 was particularly appropriate ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Cheers matey, just glad that you understood what I was going on about 'cos I was worried I hadn't explained it that well.

I thought point 4 was necessary as I wanted somebody to actually answer my question as opposed to going off on the Part P tangent!

Thanks again, Richard

Reply to
Richard Conway

Like that would have stopped them?! :-)