Bathroom Extractor Fan

Are there any rules (legal and practical) that govern the location of bathroom extractor fans?

Reason I ask is that my bathroom has an existing hole about 1.5m from the floor. Presumably where a boiler once was.

Reply to
RJH

Where's the hole in relation to any bath or shower?

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you can put it close to the bog it reduces whiffs to some degree. Don't put it so close that you end up in a windtunnel when using it :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

30 years ago, I saw an extractor fan which you installed inside the toilet cistern. It sucked up the flush pipe and blow out the overflow pipe. Thought it was a good idea at the time, but I've never seen it since.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Good for reducing whiffs, but the very low airflow would make it not much cop for condensation, nor for whiffs that had escaped the bowl. Too much airflow over a bare arse isnt comfortable, and a 21mm overflow pipe doesnt support much anyway.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ideally you have the airflow from the bathroom door (or other source of make-up air) across the bathroom basin (toothbrushes) then across the shower (steam) then across the toilet (germs) and out the fan.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

1m from the toilet cistern, 3m from the basin and bath/shower.
Reply to
RJH

Which is just about where it would be, by chance. For some reason I was thinking 1.5m would be too low.

Reply to
RJH

It'll be fine provided no-one aims pish into it for a 'laff'

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog