Bathroom ceiling paint question

My bathroom ceiling is wood cladding which has been stained then polyurethane varnished. It's a fairly dark pine colour. I want to lighten it and have some Bathroom quality emulsion for it. What would be a suitable base for this, after a light sanding of course,bearing in mind the colour change? Would ordinary primer/undercoat be suitable, or what?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Reply to
Syke

After buffing the cladding with a sanding machine, you might find a lovely light pine wood underneath the stain. A clear coat of yacht varnish looks great on new light pine, as it brings out the woods grain. Well, I think so, anyway. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

On a related note ... our kitchen/diner is lined with heavily varnished pine T&G type material - and yes it looks like a sauna. SWMBO quite likes it though, and it may hide a multitude of sins underneath. I'd quite like to sand it down and refinish, something like you suggest - but I wonder about the best way of getting at the 'valleys' between the boards. A wire brush in a drill? Nitromors? or something else??

Thanks J^n

Reply to
jkn

You've said it: Nitromors and carefully "brushed out". A brass brush if you can get hold of one if the valley requires it.

Reply to
Clot

Yep. I'd go with that approach too, Clot. Try just the brush on it first, to loosen and score the surface, before applying the nitromors. It might just help in getting the stripper right into the coating, rather than it struggling to break through a shiny skin.

Reply to
BigWallop

Also, which I forgot to add, you need fire retardant varnish on these type ceilings. Especially in rooms with cooking appliances or where hot plates etc. may be use. So make sure you're safe as well as refurbished.

Reply to
BigWallop

Intumescent varnish. You can get a nice permanently light finish on pine by painting and immediately wiping the paint off, then add your varnish when dry. The result is whitish but you can still see the grain.

NT

Reply to
NT

To be honest, I would be tempted to clean it, maybe roughen a little by hand with some medium grit paper, then paint it with a bathroom emulsion and see what happens. Emulsion is pretty tenacious in my experience. Having sanded a number of exposed ceiling joists myself, I suggest that you might choose to avoid using any kind of sanding machine overhead for a prolonged period, unless you have strong arms! There's also the mess. Using Nitromors overhead sounds like a truly horrible idea.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Intumescent varnish. You can get a nice permanently light finish on pine by painting and immediately wiping the paint off, then add your varnish when dry. The result is whitish but you can still see the grain.

NT

That sounds nice.

Reply to
BigWallop

OK, ta. I won't look forwards to doing that on the ceiling ...

Cheers J^n

Reply to
jkn

It isn't fun. I've spent years doing similar in awkward positions on wooden boats.

Good luck.

Reply to
Clot