Bathroom Ceiling Paint

Anyone care to recommend a good paint for a newly-plastered bathroom ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc. Low tendency to drip would be good too, as I have a newly-fitted bathroom below it.

Any advice on actually doing the job welcome too; don't think I've painted a ceiling before.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

said to always use an oil based paint or an enamel specified for kitchen and bath

And new plaster

ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc. Low tendency to drip would be

Drop cloths. Don't use the best sheets else she'll kill you. If you've got nowt sensible either nip to the diy sheds and buy one or go to the charity shop nearest and see what they've got. Or you could tape paper over everything.

What did the plasterer say about sizing the plaster and how long to leave it?

Don't wear your best glasses. Wash your hair shortly after. Expect to find paint in places you didn't think had been exposed to paint (Your elbow! cheeky!)

Reply to
mogga

vinyl silk rather than matt, cleans better.

NT

In message , Pete Verdon writes

I've always just used standard emulsion paint. If it damp enough for mould, or the paint peels, then you need better ventilation. I doubt 'special' paint will stop the mould.

Emulsions seems much of a much-ness re dripping. a brush will be less messy than a roller, you tend to get a bit of a spray from a roller., but harder work and slower. I generally prefer to use a roller on a pole so I can do it from the floor. A hat keeps it out of your heair.

Cover the suite, floor etc. with polythene sheeting, dust sheets etc.

Reply to
chris French

Big paint pads on a long handle work very well - smoother and faster than a brush, and no spray.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Allow new plaster to dry out thoroughly to pale pink colour.

Apply mist coat of emulsion. Let it dry fully.

Apply coat(s) of Dulux Trade Supermat. Allow to dry between each coat.

If you are getting mould, then that suggests that there is inadequate ventilation in the bathroom after bath/shower. So open windows or fit extractor fan though that might have been better done before new ceiling went up?

Reply to
Ed

I've never had a problem with undiluted Crown emulsion on newly plastered ceilings. I have had trouble with Dulux though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble wibbled on Thursday 05 November 2009 08:42

What sort of trouble Stuart? Did it fall off?

Reply to
Tim W

Yes, the roller was pulling it off as fast as it was putting it on. It was just too thick basically, and it seems the viscosity was created by entraining cheap (i.e. heavy) minerals. It certainly was non-drip but at the cost of not performing well on porous surfaces. OTOH the last lot of Crown I used was thinner and went on like a dream straight from the can. The own brand B&Q was much the same IIRC. The practice of thinning emulsions is not a good idea IMO, despite what the manufacturers say, because the added water isn't truly incorporated. Think diluting custard :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hi again folks! I'm in the process of painting my son's replastered ceilings (all artex'd and he couldn't stand it!). I'm doing it for an Xmas pressy, 'cos I've got plenty of time and no cash!! ;-))

I tried various ways, brushes, pads, etc. The plasterers suggested diluting the first coat of emulsion and then a couple of coats of "normal".

I found, after experimenting, a good roller with a *foam*-sponge roller-thing (whatever it's called!) - foam-sponge works the best, trust me. Extended handle, standing on the floor. First coat diluted about 30% or more with water, mixed well in a paint-pot (with a stick, that's all...and don't need to be exact, just water it down some) first, followed by 2 normal coats. Cover everything with sheets, etc. and wear a hat. I'm managing to do it making very little mess, using Crown non-drip b/white. Don't overload the roller, not much spray, and only got one huge gob on my nose!!

All the coats going on a treat, and cover when dry is very good. Good luck!!!

Barb

Reply to
Barb

I don't have a serious mould problem; there are a few flecks of it on the old ceiling but not much. The new bathroom incorporates an always-on heat-exchanging fan, which ramps up to boost mode when the shower is used (flow switch on the pipe and a timing module to keep it running for a while after). So I don't anticipate a problem but thought that an additive in the paint would be a useful piece of string to my existing belt and braces.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Emulsion paint is not a true solution (e.g. like salt dissolved in water). It is a colloidal suspension. Even so, it can be diluted with no problems if it is stirred thoroughly during the addition of the water.

Same with custard: add water in small amounts and incorporate fully by stirring between each addition. But don't paint the ceiling with this... it is sure to come off :-))

Reply to
Ed