Bath too long!.

Got to replace a damaged bath got a split in it.

Problem is went and bought one asked for a 1680 mm and the bloke in the wholesalers said this is the one you want to which measures 1700 so got to loose 20 mm overall which would be fine expect its bloody concrete walls and going to be a real PITA fitting it. Had a look around numerous sites and no one seems to supply a 1680 mm one anymore, this one was flitted in around 1998 so suppose it might be a metric imperial measurement problem.

What do most people do with this sort of problem saw a bit of the end of said replacement bath or spend ages chipping away at the concrete walls?.

Reply to
tony sayer

chip away unless its a glass fibre bath which you can saw the end of

usually angle grinder will gouge a slot

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

tony sayer scribbled

Cue - angle grinder !!

Reply to
Jonno

Pop one end higher than the other?

(sorry, not helpful)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Buy a bath of the right length?

e.g.:

Nightjar

Indeed. And make sure the plug is at the lower end.

Reply to
ARW

Then the soap will slide down the edge. And unless the plug is RIGHT at the end, the plug woint be at the lowest point anymore.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What an excellent suggestion. Followed by advice: Never believe someone who wants to sell you something. You can get baths of at least the following lengths: 1200, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1660, 1675, 1685.

Having never seen bath that has split in situ, I have to wonder if the original bath was shoehorned into place and that helped to cause the split?

Reply to
polygonum

10mm each end ought not be too difficult for a man with a SDS ;-)
Reply to
John Rumm

My 20+ year old plastic bath became somewhat brittle and a hairline crack resulted in the chipboard base board becoming damp and failing. This resulted in a larger crack/split because the base of the bath wasn't supported.

After removal just stamping on the old with heavy duty safety shoes reduced it to 3 rubble sackfuls of tiny pieces of plastic and glass fibre.

I had the same problem with the new bath being longer than the old but I just re-modelled the airing cupboard at the end of the bath.

To the OP, carefully measure the new bath - the size is nominal and you may find it shorter than advertised.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , Jonno writes

And a room full of dust.

I made a half brick recess when it happened to us. That was 9" soft red brick though.

Diamond disc on low speed with a second person holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Better to go 20mm at the end opposite the taps, assuming the taps are at the end with the shortest dimension. Otherwise there may be limited space when servicing the plumbing in the future. It may easy to fit the taps before the bath is fitted but consider the access required if they have to be replaced in the future.

Reply to
alan_m

I was thinking that but.. how do you get both ends to fit into a narrow slot?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

"Low Literage" - what the hell's that? If it means that it doesn't take too much water, it goes on to say that its capacity is 140 litres - which is about 30 gallons in real money. Maybe that's full to the brim?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Indeed. To reduce the horizontal component to 1680, you'd need to tilt it at nearly 9 degrees - and you might just notice that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

It would feel pretty cold.

Reply to
polygonum

One helpful feature brought in quite a few years ago was to make sure that the overflow is nice and low to stop you filling it up properly! The lower that is, the less the capacity...

(Bar of soap suitably mangled can block it quite effectively.)

Reply to
polygonum

I booked a hotel room at short notice and they put me in the disabled room. The bath wasn't deep, and consequently was easy to step in and out of, and although I only used the shower, the bath seemed adequate.

Reply to
Graham.

You seem not to have dealt with "my t*ts are above the water level, can't fill it any more, and they get cold" complaints.

Reply to
polygonum

Plus an angle grinder for neat edges

Reply to