Bath thickness

My daughter's partner is getting a new bath fitted soon - what is the recommendation on the thickness of an acrylic bath that is going to be used for showering in? I realise that too much flexing will lead to problems sealing the edges.

Reply to
John

6mm minimum.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

8mm better still, and don't even think about anything 5mm or under!
Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I once replaced a 5mm cheapy bath (in a house I bought), used for showering, that was always leaking at the silicone sealant, as the bath just flexed and pulled away. Also eventually leaked at plug hole as fibreglass started to delaminate.(delaminiation can be bodged with plastic padding...).

Was replaced with steel bath that had none of those issues.

Current bath is 8mm (carionite) and doesn't flex at all. A plumber who quoted for the bath room said he would only fit 8mm (or steel) if being used for showering as he was unable to guarantee any silicone sealing.

My brother, who is an ex-plumber, said he often bodged 5 & 6mm baths in place by filling up underneath with expanding foam to stop any movement. Obviously leave space around taps and drain and seal floor with polythene to stop it running into the room below (sounds line voice of experience !).

Reply to
Ian_m

Sounds like incorrect fitting to me.. baths normally have a chipboard/ply base stuck to the bottom.. if this is correctly supported standing in the bath has zero effect on the silicon seals.

Thin baths flex when filled with water not when showering IME.

Also an 8mm bathe flexes if it isn't supported properly.

Reply to
dennis

"John" wrote

When I was re-furbing my main bathroom, the advice received was that the best strength was in a coated bath. The argument is that the thicker acrylic baths (say 8mm) actually tend to get "over-thinned" at tight radius points. The coated baths start at (from memory) 5mm and have a further coat of

3-4mm. The one I got was from Aqua Beau with a 25 year guarantee, but I believe other manufacturers have similar offerings.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

To restore balance to the world John wrote in

8_rxk.330146$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.ams

Any that is fitted well it's all in the fitting!

Chris

Reply to
Joker7

I've bodged em with panels of MDF ply and so on tacked on with car body filler.

It works OK, but a thicker bah is miles better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Here are a few of these things I have lying around .They might come in handy. LOL

......................... IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Reply to
NOSPAMnet