Bath Tap Nut Replacement Problem

A friend of mine has asked me to have a look at one of her bath taps which is loose nd turns when opened . It would seem without having looked at it that the back nut has broken. She said a while ago that she heard something fall down behind the bath. I am hpoing that the builders ( house is two years old ) will have put isolating valves in the pipe behind the bath panel but I am not too hopeful. In case they havent put valves in I need to find a way to turn the hot water off . The hot water is fed from a Vokera combi boiler in the kitchen . Is there anything built in to these boilers that allow the water to be turned off easily and if so is there anything to watch out for when turning it back on again. ?? tia Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "

If it's a combi, you simply turn off the mains.
--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:51:31 +0000, Dave Plowman wrote:

You may well find that the cold inlet has a valve on it, either on the boiler itself or on its supply pipe. This let's you have a cup of tea half way through the job and wash you hands with CW as needed.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Indeed, since it's a mains pressure hot water system - if you stop cold water going into the combi, there ain't going to be any hot water coming out!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

and turn off the gas / electricity so it cant fire up and self destruct (which it shouldn't anyway)
Nick
You require a top hat washer fitted between tap backnut and bath to secure the tap.

Ive just looked at my bath taps -all I can see is the nut tight up against the underside of the bath . It is a nut with a broad flange nearest the bath surface . Is that what you mean -the only other nut is the tap connector at the tail of the tap ?? Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:02:55 +0000, Stuart wrote:

Some (esp. older) taps don't have the threads running all the way to the top so you need a spacer (a top hat washer) especially if the bath is a thin steel one.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Gotcha . !! Stuart
--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Have yet to find a pillar taps with short threads ,but I always fit top hats to kitchen and bath and so does every other plumber I know.The only loose taps I come across do not have them fitted.