Bath sizes and selling houses

Hi,

I have a postage stamp sized bathroom ( 7ft x 7ft ) and want to install a new bath. I would like to put in a 1500mm shower bath and still have space to install storage facilities for towels and other things. I have seen that full size bath lengths tend to be 1700mm and wondered if people are put off by having shorter baths than the norm.

The shower bath I'm looking at is perfect for my own needs but I'm conscious that presenting a bathroom in the best way possible is important when it comes to selling the house. Any pointers and advice would be most welcomed.

- this is the one I'm looking at right now.

Kind regards and best wishes Phillip

Reply to
phillipthorne

Check out liberty 1500 (=A3272) :-)

new to diy

Well I, for one, wouldn't buy a house with a bath designed for midgets!

Reply to
Set Square

one has to add the cost of the curved screen .... I didn't check out delivery charges :)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I think the overall finish of the bathroom is what will sell it i.e. if you have quality tiles/fittings and it looks plush, I think most buyers would either look past the bath size, that's if they even notice that it's 20cm shorter. I mean most adults these days shower and a

1500 is more than adequate for bathing children.

Homebase are doing a 1500 bath at the moment, which isn't a shower bath, but looks like it gives you a bit more length as basin is slightly angled but not as extreme as a corner bath. Looking at the bath you have listed, its 900mm wide at the widest point, if you have this kind of room you could consider a full blown corner bath.

I must declare though that I too am looking to fit a 1500 bath and as you can see I've already sold myself on it.

Reply to
new to diy

I'd be put off by a short bath. Towels can go elsewhere, my feet can't.

Reply to
emma

Personally, I would be put off by a short bath. if there wasn't a way to rip it out and install a "full size" one for a 6' person (i.e. me) that would end my interest in a house. Obviously not everyone falls into my size category (some's taller!), but this does reduce your target market. If you're willing to accept that, then go ahead.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Lynch

First, consider your own preferences and how long you're likely to be living there: it's all very well doing a place up to suit potential buyers but this is your home for however long.

From a purely 'selling' point of view, I'd say that if you can fit the longer bath in, then definitely do so. Buyers won't particularly notice lack of storage space, whereas some will definitely be put off by a small bath. Stack your towels on high chrome shelves above the bath!

Where a 1500mm bath comes into its own is in a small bathroom where otherwise you'd have to make do with a shower cubical; having no tub at all is a definite no-no from a selling viewpoint.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would look elsewhere. If there is a small bath fitted, it means that the seller couldn't see a way to fit a larger one.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

My advice is don't worry about the storage facilities so much, you can just place up a few shelves. Place in the largest bath you can without making the place look cramped. Get a slightly smaller basin and slimline toilet if it helps. I'm a shower fan, I haven't soaked in a bath for more years than I can remember but most people like sitting in baths and when it comes to re-sale it will make a difference. I've installed a 1600 x700 bath just last week. Unless someone pulls out a measuring tape it's hard to tell the difference between that and a 1700. When you go down 20cm to a 1500 then it becomes obvious.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

|Hi, | |I have a postage stamp sized bathroom ( 7ft x 7ft ) and want to install |a new bath. I would like to put in a 1500mm shower bath and still have |space to install storage facilities for towels and other things. I have |seen that full size bath lengths tend to be 1700mm and wondered if |people are put off by having shorter baths than the norm. | |The shower bath I'm looking at is perfect for my own needs but I'm |conscious that presenting a bathroom in the best way possible is |important when it comes to selling the house. Any pointers and advice |would be most welcomed.

Ye Gods and little fishes what do you want? a swimming pool? I have a 6ft * 7ft bath room and have a increased the bath size to 1800 =

* 800mm, with shower. Plus a toilet and a rather luxurious 1050mm long hand basin, and lots of room to move around. Needed a careful planning.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

so fussy :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think buyers notice what you point out to them. If you have a large storage space - sell it. Point out the advantages, sell the benefits.

I'd wager that the average punter is completely unable to tell 1700mm from

1800mm unless they measured it. If the bathroom was 'sold' as 'bath AND shower' and looked good, then 90% of the punters would just accept it as a benefit.

Most people don't 'sell' houses, they let people 'buy' them. Big difference. Dave

Reply to
david lang

Aye, lie back in one of those shortie baths and its not the bath taps your toes are twiddling, it's the shower knob.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I would be put off by a short bath. My current bath is too short as it is and it's a fairly standard model.

I am neither big nor stiff.

Because of MS, I now have a Mangar bath lift, which reduces the effective length of the bath by several inches. To get my head into the water, I have to put my legs up the wall!

I don't like showers and can't stand for very long anyway.

I might just get a longer bath yet...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

I wouldn't buy a house with a 1500mm bath. I can barely squeeze into a

1700mm one. You have a 7' square bathroom, which is 2100mm by 2100mm. Compared to most houses I've lived in, that's a big bathroom. My current one is exactly 1700mm by 1700mm with one of the corners lopped off at an angle. That has a 1700mm bath in, no problem.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I have a 1500mm bath and am just over 6' and don't find it a problem (although I thought I might). It didn't put me off the house however. Our bathroom is 1524mm by 1587mm, which is a tad small but it does have bath, power shower, basin, toilet, radiator cupboard window and door in it. Had to use a shower curtain though - just no room for shower screen and it's definitely not a bathroom you would share with anyone!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Mine is currently just about 1650 square. I'd have to cut the current (5'6") bath to get it outas it's recessed into both walls. It's about time I changed it, but having to modify the wall puts me off. The easiest solution seems to be to replace one wall with a Gyproc laminated partition, which will gain me about 50mm without having to narrow the bedroom doorway. I don't want a

1500mm bath, they're much too small.
Reply to
<me9

1650mm baths are available, for example
Tony Bryer

Noted, Ta. Also see 1600 available. that may be a better bet, I'm waiting until I have to do this job. I'm not looking forward to doing it.

Reply to
<me9