Bath/Shower mixer problem

I have a bath / shower mixer tap - the type with a pull up diverter between the taps, the diverter stays in whichever position you select (i.e. does not need water pressure to keep it up).

The system is 'traditional' gravity fed - the cold water is supplied to shower only from the loft tank. All other cold water outlets (taps / toilets) are mains.

Recently the mix of water in the ensuite has become unbearably hot - there has been no change to the hot water temperature setting.

I have removed the tap glands and diverter there does not appear to be any blockage the seals look in good condition - I even replaced the glands, I have had descaler in the tap (although we are soft water area and scale is not a problem elsewhere!) The shut off valves for the feeds are both fully open.

The house bathroom has a similar tap - which has a separate cold water feed from the tank in the loft - but this is working fine -so cold water tank is fine (physical check confirms level in tank ok) .

It seems to be a pressure problem - as the temperature reduces as I lower the shower head - but I don't understand why this may may be - it has worked fine for 2 years since I replaced the tap unit because of a failed diverter!!

I have run the water through the unit with the glands removed in case there was a blockage.

Any thoughts / ideas what I can check / do next?

Thanks

Reply to
Goudurix

So what happens when you turn the hot tap on the mixer completely off? No water at all?

Reply to
harry

Cold tank not filling up as fast as it empties.

Reply to
Eric

Tank appears to fill ok - house shower works fine

When hot tap is off the cold water flows fine. Without some sort of meter / guage it is difficult to check pressure in the two feeds. But if I remove shower head and point the hose upwards, both hot and cold jets on their own appear to rise to the same height (but obviously this is just a visual estimate!)

Feed is 22mm to both hot and cold

Nothing wrong with the design - it has been fine up to now

Only thing I can think of is debris from the tank settled in the pipe and reducing flow in the cold feed - any ideas how I could 'blow' this through?

Reply to
Goudurix

In message , Goudurix writes

Back flush with mains pressure using hose from another tap.

Reply to
bert

Use a hosepipe connected to a mains pressure tap. Hold it against the bath taps, wrap a bit of rag round and force mains water in the "wrong" way. You will need assistance. Open low pressure taps first and close last or you will get wet.

I wonder if there is a washer problem? Airlock?

Reply to
harry

Not been following this thread but found Harry's suggestion to work in a holiday bungalow where the over winter drain down invariably caused air locking problems on re-use.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Washers are all new - came with new glands.

I will try the back flush technique when I get a day off!

Thanks for the help

Reply to
Goudurix