Bath shelving

Replacing the bath, I find the shelf running along its length between the bath and the wall, is wet in fact the tiles lift quite easily and it looks like the water has got in underneath

This can only be getting through the grout joints between the tiles on the shelf as I have sealant between wall to shelf, and shelf to bath

(Spotted a hairline crack but this may have happenned while I readied the bath for removal)

What is the groups opinion of this? should I use sealant between the tile gaps instead of grout for the shelf?

The shelf is tilted in favour of the bath but only slightly, and did pool water a bit. so I am intending to replace the shelf at a higher angle

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Vass

Never seen it done but it sounds like a good idea. Remember to unibond the shelf before sticking the tiles back down.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

having removed the shelf that was wet, I have replaced today with Exterior Grade Ply and incresed the slope to 20deg Thanks for the vote of confidence, fingers crossed all is sound this time around

Reply to
Vass

Use a proper grout, not the tat they sell in the sheds. I would use Ardex-Flex FS. It is designed for use in swimming pools (under the water!)

't use sealant, it would be very difficult and probably look awful!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle