Bath position ?

Anyone know if this type of finish has a name?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have only ever known the name "wet room". However Polyflor rings a bell and there are some links here.

jobs I have worked on are usually to convert a bathroom into a shower/wet room where the owner is unable to use a bath.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks - that's helpful. Looks like it might be called "coved skirting".

Cheers,

Reply to
Tim Streater

In the States, that is done in _some_ bathrooms. Not even _most_ bathrooms.

Reply to
S Viemeister

When I redid my kitchen I raised all the units up on 2x4 timber. Same for the pedestal basin in one of the flats. Nice and comfy. I can't understand how people put up with being forced to hold their back at a 90degree angle over a basin like that, and I'm only 5'10"[a].

JGH

[a]in me shoes ;)
Reply to
jgharston

Well I lived there 12 years. I'm sure all those I saw had it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've lived there considerably longer than that, and have seen that kind of edging very rarely. It's a big country, though and I'm sure you'll find what's common in one area, may be unknown in another.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Rattlesnakes?

Not many in NYC for example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surprisingly common in northern New Jersey, though.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Perhaps in Palo Alto we were all just posh.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite possibly!

Reply to
S Viemeister

As others have said that's a wet room and expensive. However where I'm involved in bathrooms (generally just doing the plumbing) I usually suggest to the client that they have the flooring sealed to the walls all around, running *under* rather than cut around WC pan & basin pedestal, and a batten or suchlike as a dam under the bath, so moderate splashes (rather than Noah-scale floods) are contained rather than finding their way downstairs.

Reply to
YAPH

One of my clients had a roll-top cast-iron bath in the corner of her bathroom, boxed-in in sad, water-warped hardboard; bath all scaled-up, taps knackered etc. - looked shyte! I think she'd grown up in the house and it had never registered that it had all got pretty tatty (initially she had just asked me about removing the scabs on the ceiling left by someone having removed the expanded polystyrene tiles!). The house was late-Victorian or Edwardian and the bathroom was about 4m x 5m and had a small fireplace in it. I suggested it could all be improved and ended up decorating the whole room, black & white diamond-pattern vinyl on the floor, cleaned up the fire surround, and brought the bath out into the middle of the room, resurfaced, new taps etc, ... and it looked really smart, and she was really pleased with it. (Me too - it's satisfying to do something like that for someone, especially when they're a nice customer.)

Reply to
YAPH

Yes, not at all common here (MN) in private residences. In hotels it's quite common here to see curved edging strips between walls and floors in wet spaces; quite how they're bonded to be leak-free I'm not sure (they don't appear to be sealed along the edges, so must rely on whatever's underneath to glue them in place)

I just sealed around the edge of our bathroom floor with silicone - but then that's a temporary floor I put in that only needs to last a year or two until we gut that room (it currently has an old art-deco tub and fittings which I really like, but sadly they've reached end of life and need to be replaced; I'm hoping I can find something new in the same style that doesn't look/feel all plastic-fantastic!)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The ones I have examined in hotels seem to use a pre-made curved coving of sorts, and presumably a template or sharp knife to cut the vinyl, or butyl probably, and what looks like either solvent putty or hot welding to seal the edges.

Where hygiene is important, its a joy...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We did this in our bathroom using "Gradus coving". You get a quarter round concave moulding to glue to the floor and a capping strip that you glue to the wall at whatever heioght you want. The capping which has an overhang to cover the top of the vinyl. the overhand is flexible to you lift it to pop the vinyl under. You can have an upstand beyond the capping to tile down over if you want.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

In California, where I lived, it appeared to be SOP to have it. When I got the bathroom redone, the vinyl installer just did it, it wasn't even discussed. He cut the vinyl to be larger than the bathroom floor, with cutouts in the corners, and glued it up. An extra bit of vinyl was needed where the corner was 370° as opposed to 90°.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Don't you just hate fitting carpets in the Tardis...

Reply to
Andy Dingley