Bath panel - tiled do I need access?

Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, so was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied panel. The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) come to mind. Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and screw the panel to a frame behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for seal purposes or am I over engineering something that really is'nt needed? Just block it up and forget it ?

Reply to
Vass

|Would really like to continue the tiled theme throughout the bathroom, = so=20 |was thinking of using some ply and tiling it instead of the supplied = panel. |The question of access to the plubing (taps and waste for bath only) = come to=20 |mind. |Could I make a couple of holes in the tiles and screw the panel to a = frame=20 |behind and fix a rubber strip at the top for seal purposes or am I over=20 |engineering something that |really is'nt needed? |Just block it up and forget it ?

Never block any plumbing up and forget it. You will IME always need = access under the bath, to the bath waste, and less likely the taps at some stage in the future.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

Fix it with a couple of mirror screws and silicon joints instead of grout.

Reply to
johnty

I've used magnets to hold my panel on. Holds nice and fast, but can be removed in seconds if need be.

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.=20

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

I wouldn't, Sods Law will apply. Leave access and you'll never need it. Don't leave access and you will. I'd be tempted to make the whole panel removeable as a tiled lump. It would have to have a fairly ridged base so the tiles don't fall off if you move it. 3/8th ply with battens on the back. Frame in the side of the bath with mirror screws holding the tiled panel in place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm sure I'm being really thick asking this - but why?! David

Reply to
Lobster

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the |> middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.=20 | |I'm sure I'm being really thick asking this - but why?!

They are give away items which came with a small W H Smiths white board = to stick papers onto the board. I would guess that they are that way = because it is now possible. They probably do it because it is cheaper and = stronger than N at one side of the disk and S at the other.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

yep thats the way I'm going to go what about a rubber seal along the top? (bath used as shower too) thanks for advice all..

Reply to
Vass

Modern magnets are wonderful. I have some 1cm dia which are N in the middle S round the outside (or vica verca) and nothing on the back.

I just used old magnets rescued from some chipboard wardrobes destined for the dump. They come wrapped in plastic, with screw fixings, so are easy to use.

If you want some *really* strong magnets, then rip an old hard-disk apart. There are magnets in those things that are only millimetres thick, but strong enough to bend water (really - you can see the effect by holding the magnet under a thin tray of water while shining a bright light on the top, and watching the reflection. They are really strong - too strong for a bath panel, and strong enough also to give you a nasty nip, but fun to play with).

-- JJ

Reply to
Blueyonder

Modern neodymium-iron-boron (NdFeB) magnets are incredible. I have some of these 'rare earth magnets'

ones the size of an aspirin are near impossible to pull apart. In fact, if you aren't careful they catch your fingers.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Nice idea....probably better than mine. I was thinking of using velcro.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Just recess the panel 'under' the bath, and you won't need a seal. The supplied panels usually (IME of 3?) fit inside the bath anyway....

M.

Reply to
m__murray

I used plastic soffit board for a bath panel .cheap light and easy to cut to size. Great if you want / need a simple flat bath panel.

All the previous ideas to fit are easy to do...I found some lovely german plastic snap screw covers in gloss white and used them in 3 vertical rows of

3 and they look like white rivets .......OK OK Im a poncey designer...........but it looks great and easy to remove in an emergency. B >
Reply to
Barry

I'd not bother, use WBP ply and it's not going to worry about a bit of damp. I would see if tucking the top of the panel under the lip of the bath would produce something acceptable in appearance, it might not. If it didn't I'd make sure the top of the panel was well sealed somehow, varnish probably.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's a good idea but most mirror screws are too short to go through tiles, adhesive bed, ply and still penetrate the supports sufficiently.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Maybe, but that is what I did for both a boxed-in bath and a shower cubicle and found sufficient-length screws without trouble.

Reply to
johnty

Depending on layout and wall construction is it possible to provide an access panel from an inconspicuous position in an adjacent room instead.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I made access to mine via the next room allowing uninterrupted tiling .... used an access panel in built-in wardrobes which allowed an access panel to be fitted into partition wall.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Or make a removabled tiled panel (mirror screws) or simply buy plenty of spare tiles and smash the panel when the taps go..

let's face it, its a bitch to get at the taps ANYWAY even without any panelling at all. and traps are almost impossible to replace.

I reckon that the answer is to use a water softener.

That way the taps will do 30 years, with only washer repacments, and by that time you will want a whole new bathroom.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher