Bath Overflow Washer Conundrum

Just bought a combined bath outlet and overflow kit. This was supplied with numerous washers and instructions written in pidgeon English which don't seem to match the parts as usual.

I've identified most bits but one of these is a foam washer which seems to nicely fit as a seating under the fitting for the circular outlet metal plate (plug hole!) . Does this make sense to anyone if it does, why foam and not rubber, although there is a rubber washer for the outside of the bath will this be water tight?

Is it advisable to also silicone sealant and where should I put this .

I know this is a bit vague but you never know, are there any sites with diagrams out there?

Thanks to anyone with an answer

Graham

Reply to
Graham Mead

I think you have this slightly wrong Graham. The firm washer sits between the metal grating and the bath to stop water seeping passed and out down the thread of the body on the waste/overflow. The spongy washer goes to the bottom of the bath to take the shape better, and to put tension against the metal grating, and it holds all the sandwiches of washers and metal things firmly in place.

Reply to
BigWallop

Lol, who to believe! :) The instructions that came with the waste kit for our bath state that the foam washer should preferably be discarded and silicone sealant used between the outlet and the upper bath surface, with the firm rubber washer on the underside of the bath. I used Fernox LS-X...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

This was specifically for an acrylic bath though, steel may be different. Just found the instructions* and they state the use of silicone sealant is recommended to "prevent any water getting in between the top acrylic layer and the fibreglass" - sort of see the point they are making. Don't know how likely this is to cause damage in practice though.

*Yes I know, must throw out some junk :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee