Bath & Basin plugs

What is wrong with the old fashioned plug on a chain? It is simple it works. However I have recently installed 2 baths and 2 wash basin with these fancy lever plugs. Though I have spent some time checking the settings they still leak, is it me or is it usual? If it is my naff installation any advice would be most welcome. Whatever it takes me longer to fit and adjust the mechanism than it does to install the bath/basin.

Reply to
Broadback

It's not necessary to use popups. I have bought a bath from

and thought it would come with a wastebut it doesn't so I bought a brass chromed set from
.Screwfix do them as well. You can also get captive ones and springup ones .

The reason popups leak could possibly be that the screw on the bottom of the plug part needs adjusting .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

|On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:16:28 +0100, Broadback wrote: | |>What is wrong with the old fashioned plug on a chain? It is simple it |>works. However I have recently installed 2 baths and 2 wash basin with |>these fancy lever plugs. Though I have spent some time checking the |>settings they still leak, is it me or is it usual? If it is my naff |>installation any advice would be most welcome. |>Whatever it takes me longer to fit and adjust the mechanism than it does |>to install the bath/basin. | |It's not necessary to use popups. I have bought a bath from

|and thought it would come with a wastebut it doesn't so I bought a brass chromed |set from
.Screwfix do them as well. You can also get captive ones |and springup ones . | |The reason popups leak could possibly be that the screw on the bottom of the |plug part needs adjusting .

Agreed adjusting the popups is not even a DIY job, I do mine with only my Swiss Army Knife.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I thought popups were the spring-loaded plugs that you push down to close and push down again to release. They don't leak because there is no hole needed in the wastepipe to operate them.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I undestood the ones with the cable were "popups" and the spring loaded ones had a different name .

Reply to
Stuart

The chains break or disconnect. They get in the way. They look ugly.

It is just you.

Adjust the screw length so that it pops out about 10mm and no more. Make sure the plug itself has any rubber O-rings securely in place in the little channel on the plug. It might not be pre-installed into the channel and may be sitting in your unidentified parts pile!

I've never spent more than about 20 seconds on it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle