Batery charging - brain fade day?

Could do with one of them on here then.

bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On my 24V vehicle it's 27.5V so that more-or-less agrees.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If that's right it's a good idea.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I got the current ratings from the car's service manual. I've no reason to suspect anyone had ever changed the alternator. I did have to take it off once to clean up the output connector, which was a bit feeble for the current rating.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'd suggest you do some tests. There is no need to *regulate* the maximum current. The basic design of the alternator does just that.

Which can take many more miles of driving than charging a flat battery partially to the point where it will re-start the vehicle easily.

If it was putting out 40 volts or whatever other crap you stated earlier it would very soon charge the battery fully. And knacker it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Occasionally car alternators are used at that sort of voltage output, eg fo r welding. With a battery on load its impossible, at 50A out the battery wo uld limit V to 14-15v. And it would at some point boil, as I know from expe rience with rather less than 50A.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr