Basic electrical question

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:48:32 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Don't believe you IMM has several loose ones.....don't he?. ATB Kris

Err, yes I suppose so. However I assume it isn't so much an issue because there's nothing much to hold tight.
PoP

I've seen a gizzmo for a router somewhere in a catalogue or on the web (Screwfix? tlc? but I can't find it now) which is designed to cuts out a neat stepped hole about 4" diameter in a chipboard floor, and also prepares a matching plug for the hole, so when you've finished mucking about beneath the floor you can readily fill the hole with a neat, removable, flush-fitting hatch. Was reasonably expensive IIRC, but I'd buy one like a shot if I had a lot of these to do.
Maybe someone here knows what I'm on about?
David

It's a Trend router accessory, people who have it says it's good. What puts me off is the price of the plastic inserts you need to make the hole in the floor into a neat trap-door.
--
Chris Green

On 3 Feb 2004 18:20:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

As reported on this forum recently, our very own Andy Hall has one of these and advises that it's something worth having in your toolbag.
I'm building up to SWMBO buying me one as a surprise present. It'll be a surprise for her :)
PoP
PoP wrote:

Details here:-
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/routabout /
(got a feeling in a previous discussion on this subject someone mentioned a cheaper source of insert rings... quick google should turn it up)
--
Cheers,

John.

On 3 Feb 2004 18:20:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Indeed.
The Trend Routabout. I have one that I use with one of their small T5 routers and it does do a very good job. The hatches are neat and don't rock, and the job is fast.
Some web sites have the inserts shown as a unit of one for 25-30. In fact this is for a pack of ten so they are not that bad.
OK, to some extent this is razor blade marketing, but 2.50 a hole doesn't seem completely outrageous to me.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

And possibly for two reasons.
The first is that if you are selling services to others then 2.50 for a neat hole that is created in say 10 minutes is a whole lot better than 2 hours at premium labour rates doing it another way.
Secondly, if you are doing this in your own home, just how many of these holes will be required?
PoP

It's not even that. There isn't even the issue of setting the cutter depth accurately because there is a ball bearing stop at the top.
It's literally a case of fitting the guide bush to the router base, cutter in the router. Then the trammel screws to the floor with a wood screw but free to rotate.
With my T5 router and chipboard, it will do the job in four passes comfortably. This leaves a disk of material. You insert the ring in the hole, invert the disc and you're done.

Exactly. IIRC, the original product came with three rings and I bought another pack of ten. I still have a few left.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Is it reasonable to assume that this jig will accept other types of router? I have a Trend T9 for on-site work and I'm assuming that the jig would work fine with that.
PoP

Yes it would. When I got mine, which was some time ago, I hadn't yet bought a 1/2" router.
There's some merit in using a smaller router as you can get into slightly tighter spaces.
There are four combinations of Routabout defined by the cutter. This is 1/4" or 1/2" and 18mm or 22mm depth.
If you are sure you are always going to use the 1/2" router, then it probably makes sense to get the 1/2" cutter rather than swap the collet..
One thing I am not certain about is the effect of just having the 22mm cutter if you then want to cut into 18mm floors. I have 22mm floors and cutter so it didn't arise. I am pretty sure that the only effect of cutting an 18mm floor with a 22mm cutter would be to go a few mm into a joist if you happened to be over one, however it's possible that the rebate on the centre disc might be wrong, causing it to end up sitting proud of or below the surround floor. If you can wait until the weekend, I can get the jig out and check it on an 18mm board, or you might want to call Trend and ask. Obviously you can buy a second cutter for the other depth but they're about 27.
Another point I forgot to mention is that it is possible to remove the ring after installation, so the access hole can be a touch larger than implied by the ring size.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

<snip>
I notice in the catalogue the other day that Screwfix do something to do a similar job, but it basically a hole saw that firs into a drill.
Instead of using the chipboard to plug the hole it uses a plastic plug.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Andy Hall wrote:

He could just lie a junction box under the floorboards of the floor above and make sure that there's a screw-down panel which can be removed for access.
J.B.