Basement damp proof options?

We've just become the proud owners of a stone-built house in West Yorks. It has a sizeable basement we'd like to convert into a kitchen. It's ideal for it as the house is built on a slope. The front door is at street level. The basement is at garden level with a door and window looking out.

What are the options for damp-proofing to make it habitable?

Is it a DIY job or is it better to pay someone and have a guarantee for prospective future buyers?

tia

Antony

Reply to
Antony

The latter I think although

has plenty of technical info.

Reply to
stuart noble

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:08:59 +0100, "stuart noble"

My basement is lined with Newton Newlath

- no need for sand-blasting and applying slurry to the walls as you usually need to do with tanking, and so it is a lot cheaper to do. Also it is resistant to floods since it is made from plastic! You can either use render on top or else dry-line.

It only needs a bit of ventilation or dehumidification to keep the humidity levels down and that's prolly just because I'm in a high water-table area.

The floor is concrete on a plastic membrane.

Reply to
Mr B

Dig out around the house and fill with hardcore. This keeps the wet earth away from the foundation walls and drain away the water away from the walls. Many council web site explain how this is done.

Reply to
IMM