basement/cellar again...

how to construct the floor in the cellar/basement...

I'm considering 2 options, both result in having a chipboard (can't remember the proper name) floor, if only because of impact resistance (as apposed to concrete) if a child falls over

the 2 methods I've found are...

#1...

chipboard

2 x 2 batons vapour barrier quilt type insulation (not sure what this is... anyone ?) 100mm concrete DPM

chipboard flooring vapour barrier

2" polystyrene 100mm concrete DPM

what, in the groups opinion, would be the better option ?

bearing in mind this cellar has direct access, via a DG PVC door, into the garden and a fully opening window.

thanks LJ

Reply to
in2minds

Neither. 50mm of Kingspan or Celotex is a much better option than either because it has 4x the insulating property for a given thickness.

Please refer to other post. The walls should probably get some attention as well. If you can post the details, we can do the sums.

Reply to
Andy Hall

"in2minds" wrote | I'm considering 2 options, both result in having a chipboard | (can't remember the proper name)

flooring grade chipboard?

| floor, if only because of impact resistance (as apposed to concrete) | if a child falls over

I wouldn't worry; it's extremely unlikely a small child would chip or otherwise damage concrete :-)

For child friendly flooring, I would suggest cork sheet. Also good for insulation. I've dropped plates on cork tiled concrete, and the plate bounced unbroken.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Weyroc?