Barn conversion - how deep should the footings be.....?

Page 5 of 5
snipped-for-privacy@chaplehouse.demon.co.uk wrote:

He IS Tony Blair!
I claim my 5.

Talk to a local BCO I think, and ask them whether you have to insulate the habitable areas as well.

Hi Nick I'd planned to do just that - using some sort of insulated plasterboard - once the structure was fixed (roof included) - and electric, water and gas had been bought in. I keep hearing people talk about Celotex - am I correct in thinking this could be used to line the brick walls.....? Si
Regards, Simon http://www.thehawthornes.org

I'd seen, that's why I mentioned it.

In principle, but I think you want to agree the mechanism with the BCO, and have it on the plans, and that might affect whether they want better foundations...

Yes. A barn is a large and expensive area to heat. You have the advantage of being able to have thick walls without any hindrance to the living area, and pack in insulation. Insert studs and have plasterboard over and pack between the studs and wall the insulation.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:35:08 +0000, Simon Hawthorne

Have a look on their web site, Simon.
There are some application notes which describe the different scenarios of use and exactly which material and the fixing method.
I used some with timber studding to line my single brick workshop as well as to insulate the roof. The results in terms of heat requirement are exactly as calculated.
This is a BCO discussion though, because there may be specific construction and ventilation requirements.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Best use a timber frame and spray-in Warmcell insulation. far better.
http://www.warmcel.com

Simon Hawthorne wrote:

It's more than our 70 year old house has. You need to assess whether there's been any movement recently. If not, and if you're not intending to add to the load (by extending upwards for instance) then you won't need to touch the footings.
--
Grunff