Barn conversion - how deep should the footings be.....?

Page 3 of 5
writes

bother to assume an identity to take the piss out of you? I certainly wouldn't and I am making an assumption on Andy's part based on his posting history. *You* on the other hand have had lots of identities but unfortunately (for you) your posting style and stock phrases give you away, I particularly like it when you ask on another newsgroup a question about a thread on here and then post the answer.
--
David

David wrote:

Care to share? I could dig for myself, but I really can't be bothered...
--
Grunff

"Grunff" < snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com> wrote in message
news:bv2m5m$m9blr$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-152899.news.uni-berlin.de...

David

"David" < snipped-for-privacy@chapelhouse.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@chapelhouse.demon.co.uk...
writes

--
David

Now go an play. Run along.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:07:47 +0000, David

Bugger, are you saying I share a Christian name with IMM ?
Cheers,
John (the other one)

This halfwit is. But you don't.
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:28:28 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named

No!!! You can't say that about our IMM! He's the very definition of sensible debate on uk.d-i-y.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this

Thank you. At times I feel as if all he world has no logic, no foresight, no vision, no nothing. It is easy to get that impression from this ng.

colour as well......

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM wrote:

Stop looking in the mirror then. Its bad for your mental health.

More snotty uni humour LOL.
Grunff wrote:

Typical computer scientist. Its teh 'elegant perfect' solution...
For an infinite number of comp Sci grads with infinite resources...

Hey snot. What are you on about?

Maybe that's the way they do things on Planet IMM, but obviously time and money are not issues in that bizarre place. I've participated in a few barn conversions, many starting with a biulding in a worse state than the original poster's, but not one has involved removal and re-erection stone by stone in the original sequence. Not only would it take forever, but the cost would be astronomical. Utterly bonkers suggestion. From the posters website it would appear that the building has stood quite happily for at least 100 years, and has more substantial footings than my old house in Norfolk used to have. Without seeing the barn in the flesh, but based on the pictures, I'd reckon the most it would need is underpinning.
Cheers Clive

< snip drivel >
Look at the thread on this a week or so back. Someone doing just that. I have seen a barn built this way. basically a new build with the old walls clad around. Quite cheap and effective, and no throwing money down a deep foundation pit.

Which isn't the same as taking the thing down, stone by stone, numbering each one and then reassembling in the reverse order. Besides which, looking at the photos the barn is made of bricks.
Cheers Clive

IT is indeed, but the thread went onto rebuilds. This sort of thing happens.