Barn conversion - how deep should the footings be.....?

Page 1 of 5
http://www.thehawthornes.org/the_lodge/barnhome.htm
Hello again I've been out and dug a hole (inside the barn) to try and establish how deep the footings run. I have put a photo and description on my web site (at the bottom) - I reckon they are 2' in total - I reckon this isn't enough? My structural engineer (who I haven't spoken to today) told me that underpinning (if that is what is required) is not such a bad job if you know who to ask - and needn't cost more than 3k for a project this size. Any thoughts/comments....? Thanks in advance.... Si
Regards, Simon http://www.thehawthornes.org
Simon Hawthorne wrote

Hi Simon - what a nice project and well done on the pictures so far. Keep them coming please :)
The barn looks mid Victorian, with its King-post truss, secondary rafters and brick footings. There has been a little rafter spread by the look of it, and the tie bar was probably put in to arrest bulging walls, but again quite minor. There doesn't appear to be much structural damage due to foundation movement as far as I could see.
Why are you so concerned about the foundations? If you're not going to increase the loading on them at all I would say there's probably no need to do anything about them from what I can see from the pictures. But nobody here on this newsgroup can tell you whether they are adequate or not - this depends on the site conditions, e.g. soil type, its compressive and shear strength, moisture content, any trees close by, ground water level etc etc. Also, we have no idea whether you intend to increase the loading - even knocking openings can increase the loading locally. It seems you are getting excellent advice from your engineer - I would trust in what he says.
If it's of any interest, my house has even shallower footings than your barn, but as they're on solid chalk they are perfectly adequate.
Hope this puts your mind at rest Peter
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:05:13 -0000, "Peter Taylor"

Thanks Peter - once the guy doing the drawings has finished I'll have a meeting with the structural engineer - decide on the best way forward.... Regards
http://www.thehawthornes.org
Simon Hawthorne wrote

Thanks Simon. Could you tell us what you are planning for the barn. Will it be for residential use or something else? A lot depends on this as to what advice to give you.
Peter
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:28:47 -0000, "Peter Taylor"

Peter The downstairs will be residential - it is attached to the house anyway - and I intend to use the four sections as part of the house (garage/games room/store room/workshop). The upstairs I would like to let to a small business - maybe 3 people - office based - not retail. Spoke with my neighbours today - the one closest was happy - the one the other side said he would object to it being used as a commercial venture. I suppose my thoughts are that a barn is commercial anyway - I'd have to change the use for it to become residential.......! Either way - I intend to keep my neighbours as happy as possible - and I think I would get permission to convert the first floor to an office and let it - but I would have to impose some fairly strict rules, so to speak. Si
http://www.thehawthornes.org
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:30:40 +0000, Simon Hawthorne wrote:

Conversion to residential can be reduce rated (5%) for VAT if that affects your thoughts. Not sure about part conversion. See <http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/708.htm>

Best take down all the walls if stone. Number the stones. build a nice strong foundation slab. Build a timber frame on it and the re-erect the walls. If brick or wood you have problems. Try the selfbuild list, they are the people to be with.
The FAQ is http://www.borpin.co.uk

IMM wrote:

You're taking the piss, right? Do you have *any* idea how long this will take/how much it will cost? I've seen many barn conversions, but not a single one which had been taken down stone by stone, and put back in the same order.
--
Grunff

Not at all.

Cheaper and faster than underpinning an old barn that is for sure. SA high percentage of barns conversions are abandoned as the cost have escalated because of foundation problems.

Best way. Then you can budget properly and have the whole structure on one firm modern foundation.

IMM wrote:

You're totally insane.
If it did need to be knocked down, no one *on earth* would number all the stones and put them back in the same order. You clearly have no idea whatsoever what this would involve.
--
Grunff

A marker pen and an interest in jigsaws?
Jim Ley wrote:

And the biggest mother "stone organiser", to store all your numbered stones in a sensible order, and a team of carrier mules to retrieve the stones for you in the correct order as you build ;-)
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Its called a database Grunff. Works fine in software :-)
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

A database for storing real world objects - I'd *love* one of those. You can just see it - "delete * from drillbits where sharpness='blunt'".
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

D'oh!
Or even "delete from drillbits where sharpness='blunt'"
--
Grunff

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:09:37 +0000, Grunff wrote:

or "update drillbits set sharpness='razor' where sharpness='blunt';"

I'd prefer "INSERT INTO TOOLS(ToolName) SELECT Tools FROM Axminster;" amongst others.
Cheers Clive
Clive Summerfield wrote:

Isert into IMM where DRILLBIT=BLOODY_SHARP?

LOL, so funny.
John Armstrong wrote:

@infinity reload reality_matrix -persona IMM -param real_world > /dev/null.