barbeque cast iron grill

The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The surfaces on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult to clean off the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does not sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it in a water tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always scrape off easily.

If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it would quickly turn to rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.

Reply to
john royce

We have one similar. Cleans well on a hot BBQ... Failing that a wire brush taken to it works OK too.

If you're not up to that, what about one of those oven-tray cleaning bags and some caustic soda?

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Mine (albeit stainless steel) came up well with the application of a pressure washer.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Cast iron doesn't actually rust badly - after all that's what external waste pipes etc were made from and have a very long life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why bother at all? I just let mine get dead hot, and use a wire brush on it.

The heat sterilises it and turns everything to carbon, and you simply brush that off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Normally cast iron grills are porcelain coated (but not always).

Stainless steel grills are chromium coated.

Normally the simplest way to deal with both these types of grill is to seal or prime them first.

Coat them in vegetable fat and then bake them in a 180-200 degree C oven for a couple of hours, and leave them to cool in the oven. Do this a couple of times. You will then have a natural baked on non-stick coating which you should NEVER use detergent on, just wipe off the big bits of residue with a damp cloth.

If this proves problematic, then "bake" the bits of residue with the barbecue on full blast for a few minutes after which point they should brush/crumble off easily.

The same principle applies to cast iron pans and skillets...

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

my thoughts exactly

Reply to
Derek Turner

Stainless steel grills aren't plated, as they don't need it.

Cheap grills that are chrome plated (most of them) are just mild steel underneath, and they'll rust once wear has started the plating flaking, or long-term rain exposure has permeated it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Cast iron is ideal for cleaning with sodium hydroxide. You need a shallow tray large enough to take the grill, and a large dose of clue. If you've not worked with caustic soda or any form of chemical before this may not be for you.

You add caustic soda to water, never the other way around. It will boil and splash. Splashes on skin must be washed off immediately in cold water, some recommend using white vinegar but that's not necessary IMO if you rinse under free-running water.

Splashes in eyes can result in you losing your sight so you need to wear goggles (at least) or a full face visor. You will also need chemical resitant gloves (NOT rubber) and a devent quality waterproof apron, PVC or polythene.

Any splash in an eye and you need to wash in huge amounts of water and get to a hospital straight away, but the damage is likely to be permanent.

You need about 25g of sodium hydroxide per liter of water. This solution is highly corrosive. I would make up the solution in the tray ensure the sodium hydroxide has dissolved by stirring gently with a wooden spook or paddle then lay the grill gently into the solution and leave for at least four hours, preferably overnight. You can, oif you are careful scrube the grill very gently with a long handled nylon brush to loosen the grease.

Remove from the solution, wash well in water and dry immediately, if you can leave it in an airing cupboard to dru off properly. You'll then need to "season" the cast iron by wiping it over with edible oil. I'd then store it in oil-soaked newspaper.

TBH it's a lot of messing about and strictly not necessary.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What make is yours? I have been looking for a gas BBQ with SS grill for some time, but have never seen one for sale in the UK at a reasonable price (all cast iron/ porcelain coat/ chrome plated).

Probably cheaper to make an SS grill to fit!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Yup Ten out of ten.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, they are not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes- My Outback grill is. It is supposed to be heatproof but I have managed to overheat the grills and cause the porcelain to melt.

Reply to
Archie

Try a google search for Outback porcelain grill

Reply to
Archie

It's made by a firm called Hotspot, who iirc are based somewhere in Somerset. But it's not gas. It a conventional charcoal BBQ with a spun steel (or is it aluminium) pit and tripod legs. Doubles as a fire pit in the evening after the BBQ has finished.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

You're meant to run them on Propane, not MAPP gas!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gas -

I only use lumpwood charcoal. I tried the instant light stuff which promptly melted the porcelain. I phoned Outback to complain and the lady told me never to use instant light charcoal as in contains gunpowder and burns too hot. They recommend briquettes but I don't like them.

Reply to
Archie

Uh - Melt porcelain? It melts at over 1400C, so I doubt it's really porcelain...

I use good british lumpwood charcoal too - lights easy enough with firelighters - I've been using these:

parafin smell!

Our BBQ is a round steel (might be cast iron) bowl type of thing. Heavy enough. Sort of like a pot-belly stove with a wide dish at the top for the charcoal. Not 100% sure the grill plate is cast iron or just heavy steel, but it's kept outdoors all year - 6 years old this year. It only cost a fiver from the local cheap shop and we're more than happy with it!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson