bannister to newel post joint

I need to temporarily remove a banister to get a piece of furniture into a room adjacent to the hall and staircase. I see no signs of fixings at the newel post or where the banister meets the ceiling.

Is it normally a mortise in the newel post and slotted into a joist at the ceiling? Do I need to loosen the newel post and disengage the banister from it?

BTW the "once" filler MH recommended is now known as "master" at Wickes.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

A photo perhaps? IME newel posts can't normally be moved enough to get tenons out. Depending on what the other end of the rail is fixed to, you have to cut it at one end and dowel it back afterwards (or use brackets perhaps).

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In my experience, they do not come apart. Usually M&T joints with glue and dowels. Made to last. I had to saw my newel post off at the bottom and devise a metal insert that bolts it back on.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I went over there to take a photo or two but a bit of prying showed the top was a mitred lap joint to the joist with a nail through it. I knocked that sideways and levered the banister from the newel post. It had a short tenon and was tosh nailed from the newel post.

Sofa is in and I'll pull the nails and screw it back together later in the week.

AJH

Reply to
andrew