banging pipes

ok, our water supply comes via the neighbour, as in the supply from the mains enters his premises (15mm copper pipe) and feeds his house then follows on through the party wall into our house. for a while now the pipes have been banging every time either of us turn on and off the hot or cold taps I'm almost positive this started after he did some plumbing work and the only reasons I can think of are 1. an air lock and 2. pressure is too high... is that all ?

any suggestions on how we can stop the banging ?

thanks LJ

Reply to
in2minds

It could be a section of loose pipe, not clipped to a joist or whatever, then when the water is suddenly stopped the pipe wobbles, and bangs into somthing?

Make sure the pipes are secured properly?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

  1. loose pipe somewhere which bangs into something when the water suddenly stops flowing in it.

Operate all the water outlets to ensure there isn't one which you haven't used since which still has a column of air trapped behind it. This in conjunction with any water appliance which measures water flow (such as a combi or multipoint boiler) can make a noise.

Try to identify where the noise is coming from. Might be worth one of you feeling the pipework whilst the other turns a tap on and off. A starting point would be where he did the plumbing. Check for pipework flapping around due to lack of supports.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had this problem after having a bathroom refitted. Sorted it by turning the stopcock down a bit so reducing the pressure. worth a try.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

How's that work then?

Reply to
nog

Doesn't reduce the pressure, just delays it building up slightly - the sudden build up of pressure is what can cause pipes to bang.

Dave

Reply to
Dave