Banging Boiler

A year ago we had a worchester Ri boiler fitted on the wall in our kitchen diner. It's always made a bit of a banging noise. Not every time, but really quite often; usually just after it turns itself off, after the boiler being on for a bit.

We have just had our first annual service. The chap never even opened the boiler, but just fed a meter tube into the top of it and he also watched how fast the gas was going out of the gas meter.

I asked him about the banging. He asked if the rads had been bled recently and I confirmed that they had. Since it was suggested to me that this might be a cause of all the rucus. After looking in the water cylinder cupboard he told me I needed a 'by pass' or a 'mixer valve', but looking at it he wasn't sure where the by pass pipes would be connected.

Are these 'by pass' and 'mixer valve' not items that should have been put in when the boiler system was installed last year?

Reply to
john east

Banging after switch off is known as kettling. The water in the boiler exchanger boils. The 2 solutions are to increase pumping speed, or to add an overrun timer (or repair broken one.)

NT

Reply to
NT

one further cause is sludge getting to the boiler. This was suggested to me a month or saoa go, on this newsgroup, and since flushing out the system I have had to futher recurrence of the problem.

Reply to
charles

I had a banging noise from my Vokera boiler, as if someone was banging on the case with a gloved hand. it would do it for a bit, then it would reset.

Eventually we found that the balanced flue pipe had come apart in the loft!

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I had a new Worcester 24ri fitted a couple of years ago and specified an auto bypass valve to be fitted. After installation I got the same banging as you and on further investigation realised the valve was never opening as the adjustment was incorrect. So effectively it was like your installation. After adjusting the valve no further noise.

John

Reply to
JohnW

Is it an S Plan by any chance?