Bandsaw tyres

Hi folks

I need 3 new bandsaw tyres for an old machine - it has no tyres on, which is stopping the blade from sitting flat. I've seen the prices online, and am sure I can do something for a small fraction of that, and get it much quicker that via the post.

Any suggestions? I thought of vac cleaner belts, but not the cheapest option. Where would I get a roll of rubber strip? And what could I glue it on with? (Prefer water based to solvent)

The only other option is to grind down the edges of the wheels so the sawblade teeth hang over the edges, thus it can sit flat again. I dont know how good an idea this is. The wheels are plastic, and about 6" dia,

Cheers

NT

Reply to
NT

Old car/bike tyre inner tube cut into sections and stretched over.

Reply to
dennis

I could glue that, but not also stretch it, unless you know some sort of clamp I dont.

The other question is how to profile it, will rubber file ok?

NT

Reply to
NT

I don't understand. Why can't you stretch a circle from a rubber inner tube over a wheel?

I don't know what profile you want so i can't help.

Reply to
dennis

Presumably he needs a 'D' cross-section to keep the blade on.

Reply to
brass monkey

Well I know getting a car inner tube small enough to fit may be a problem but if you cut a circle out of it in a radial direction its going to be about 6" in diameter. Its not like cutting around the circumference and getting one 24" in diameter.

Reply to
dennis

Sounds like you know how to a bandsaw. Have you read Mark Duginske's Bandsaw Handbook. This was recommended to me following a post on this ng some while ago. Cost the magnificent sum of two quid iirc from Amazon. A real eye opener. Definitely highly recommended. I had a problem with a somewhat larger two wheel band saw. After reading this book and some minor modifications/rectifications it now now runs perfectly well. I spoke with a well known provider of band saw blades (who has great experience of bandsaws) about new tyres. He couldn't help on this but ventured that cork strip had been used successfully in his experience. This by fb from his clients. However, where have the three original tyres on your machine gone? To me this would indicate a problem within the machine. It might be preferable to fix any problem before administering a cure. Adhesive: dunno, I might try evostik (the old fashioned variety) which would work. This def not water based.

The blade teeth are not meant to hang over the edge of the wheels.

BAH, I must read OP's more thoroughly. I retract the first line of this, my, reply. If the wheels are six inch dia. and plastic I think it very unlikely that the wheels were ever fitted with any tyres. Generally the wheels (and tyres if fitted) are either flat or have a very slight camber. This allows a well adjusted machine to run the blade to the centre of the wheels. There are, as with other things, too many variables.

So to bed.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Thank you, I'll look that up.

I gather there are 3 types of tyres in use: rubberised cork, rubber, and polysomethingorother.

The only problem I'm finding is that the blade wont sit flat on the wheels. The wheel design makes this inevitable, and the blade alignment's a fair way out because of it. There's no way to tweak it to make it work ok as is, it needs either tyres or filing.

I realised if I use stretched rubber it shouldnt need adhesive.

no. it would fix the alignment problem though.

yup

There are rollers on the back of the blade as usual, but nothing on the teeth side to stop it falling off, so the wheels need some camber.

NT

Reply to
NT

Cut suitable car tire inner tube into bands.

Reply to
F Murtz

dennis@home pretended :

Scrounge an old inner tube from a lorry. They are quite thick, so you just need to find one a bit less than 6" diameter and cut a section off.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A lorry? More like a Transit.

Reply to
grimly4

Reply to
tony4foxcroft

I expect the 12" ones available on ebay etc would stretch... failing that, try one of the US suppliers that ship here. E.g.:

Or talk to a blade supplier.

Reply to
John Rumm

ouch. inner tube